Back boiler conversion | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler conversion in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

samtheplumber

Hi all

i have a customer who is having an extension built, he has an existing back boiler which he uses to heat the old part of his house with an old glow worm suprime boiler (over 10 years old)
my problem is that he wants to keep the back boiler and have it "converted" in his words to incorporate the new extension. i know he would be better off having a combi installed and the back boiler scrapped. I am also aware you can get dual coil cylinders but there are surely regs that condem such works.
There must be regulations against this situation but i cant think where to find them off the top of my head! any ideas?

Cheers

It can be done and is still done all the time if you can't do it get someone in who can show you

Surly intergrating it into a large extension is a stupid idea in terms of efficiancy, cost etc?

Surly intergrating it into a large extension is a stupid idea in terms of efficiancy, cost etc?

Still don't see your point
If that's what he wants it's your job to do it if you have explained pros and cons then it's his decision to spend the money

Might be stupid, may cost more to run, but unfortunately all we can do is advise what is best, should the customer choose to ignore the advice then you can either do what they are asking (as long as it's safe and within regs) or tell him to do one.

Hi all

i have a customer who is having an extension built, he has an existing back boiler which he uses to heat the old part of his house with an old glow worm suprime boiler (over 10 years old)
my problem is that he wants to keep the back boiler and have it "converted" in his words to incorporate the new extension. i know he would be better off having a combi installed and the back boiler scrapped. I am also aware you can get dual coil cylinders but there are surely regs that condem such works.
There must be regulations against this situation but i cant think where to find them off the top of my head! any ideas?

Cheers

First thoughts were building regs! But are they only relevant in boiler changeover and new installations? technically I believe to cover one's behind, you'd have to have trv's and the extension individually time and temp controlled minimum I'd imagine. other than that perfectly acceptable I'd say!

Thanks guys a great help as always.
Dont get me wrong what the customer wants they get but i want to cross reference the regs so i can advise him the best way poss. but like i said cant find them and not sure what part back boilers come under. L1B hasnt much on the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
As it’s only a holiday let your fine I would...
Replies
Views
Back