Back boiler cylinder removal | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler cylinder removal in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misswomy

I have a solid fuel burning back boiler in my front room which heats the rads and one tap which no longer gets used as i have a combi boiler for all my hot water and other rads that i had added. I would like to remove the old cylinder but keep the back boiler for the radiators...is this possible?

My first thought is the back boiler would have too much heat to be able to dissipate it through a couple of rads consequently the water would boil,

Hi. Bob's comments are correct. Gravity circulation requires far larger dia. pipes and far more detail on design, in relation to pumped systems. The cylinder you removed would have been on a gravity circuit (28 mm pipes) the rads you mention may well be on a small pumped circuit. With solid fuel boilers control of the heat produced can not be controlled instantly as with say gas. In the event of the circulating pump failing due to a fault or power failure the water would not circulate quick enough to disipate heat and the system would boil, creating a dangerous situation in your home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
L
I can see the small leak in back boiler, have...
Replies
Views
LyndaB
L
Back