Back Boiler fitting new radiators. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back Boiler fitting new radiators. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ozzy

Hi

I've been to look at a job to fit 4 new radiators and connect to an existing back boiler.

The flow and return pipes from the back boiler have been hacked off flush with the wall. The open fire has been regularly used since then with no water in the boiler.

I would have thought that the back boiler would now be no good due to the fact of the open fire being used with no water in the boiler, am I correct?

not worth the hassle and doesnt really work for eco folks out there either, would you be putting on a pump etc

I'm guessing I would have to fit a pump. I'm thinking I will hand this one on lol as I'm not a heating engineer

It sounds like a no go situation. Back boiler is likely to be damaged, you will require high temperature Feed and expansion, a gravity circuit and a pumped circuit and it won't even be efficient. If I were going down the route of solid fuel water heating, I would put a wood burning stove in and have stored hot water and radiators. Must be done by a HETAS registered engineer.

Thanks Reg Man. I think you are definitely right on the no go. They only want it for the heating. they have a unvented cylinder in the roof and electric rads. they said the electric rads are costing £60 aweek. My guess is it was probably taken out because It wasn't working or leaking.

It sounds like a no go situation. Back boiler is likely to be damaged, you will require high temperature Feed and expansion, a gravity circuit and a pumped circuit and it won't even be efficient. If I were going down the route of solid fuel water heating, I would put a wood burning stove in and have stored hot water and radiators. Must be done by a HETAS registered engineer.

i thought heatas was voluntary rather than compulsory

Not compulsory but you will need it signing off so may as we'll get somebody who can self with either heras or another body.

I'm not going to get involved its got disaster written all over it. The pipes that are cut off at the wall rather part cut then bent up and down until they broke off, you would have to cut back into the side of the fire place to find a bit of good pipe if any to connect on to. so I'm going to pass on this won. thanks for all your advice

No chance would I be touching that! They probably just think ohhhh radiators on wether wall heated by that thing there that will be good without realising tanks, pumps etc etc.

suggest a combi and they can start saving

They should not be using the open fire unless the back boiler has been decommissioned properly. Removed / Drilled / Filled with sand.

I don't no if it is been disconnected or not, there not long moved in there. they have a unvented cylinder in the roof and electric rads but I'm not getting involved
Thanks all

If theres open ends on the back boiler where the pipeworks been cut off and the fires still operating you should tell them its not safe, they should be sealed. Id advise a gsr to come and take a look for there safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Back