Back boiler is boiling! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler is boiling! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

djboyd

Hi all

I have a link up system with a dunsley neutraliser. This is connected to a sealed unvented hot water cylinder and a standard gravity fed and pumped central heating system. Both my back boiler and oil fired boiler feed to the neutraliser. The hot water system is protected by plenty of safeguards against overheating - must be pumped, valve, overpressure regulated, etc. The only safeguard against the back boiler overheating is the stat on the neutraliser set at 90 C. This stuck again tonight meaning I could hear the boiler releasing steam into the header tank as the pump did not trigger circulating the heat through the rads. So, two questions:

Is there any additional safety device I could use to stop the system boiling (especially during power cut)?

Does it matter if it does boil, dumping the boiling water into the header tank?

Thanks for your help.

No replies? I just want to know if it is safe to boil off now and again or if I should do something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was aware of that case - my system has boiled probably twice in the last few years when the anti-boil stat has not activated. My concern is that during a power cut or another failure it will continue to boil. I suppose that as it boils off the water is released as steam and the ball cock allows cold water in to replace it, keeping the temp in the tank below 100. Thought there might have been some additional mechanical method to dump the boiling water somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Probably a fault with the controls.
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Very informative...........thx🙄
Replies
Views
PH is 7.5. Chloride is 194. The last water...
Replies
Views
N
Replies
Views
Back