Back Boiler low gas rate! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back Boiler low gas rate! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

myles

Gas Engineer
Evening all hope everyone has had a good christmas :santa3:!

So here goes,
I attended a property to do a safety cert and service of gas heating stove and back boiler & fire. Came to service the back boiler and fire lit the fire etc and noticed a nice long yellow flame in one area, Long story short found the fires burner cracked in 3 places (looked like it had fire cement or similar on cracks as an attempted repair), flue not mechanically fixed or sealed and signs of spillage (tenant later said she had been getting headaches at home but fine away from home, go figure)! Spiderwebs and dust from circa 1980 (apparently its all been serviced yearly etc) combustion chamber insulation disintegrated, boiler aeromatic burner starting to corrode badly in places and the boiler thermostat phial split. So I ID it and disconnected it with permission, after ordering parts and putting all the faults I found right I light the old girl up, did all my checks etc and went to gas rate it. Got 7.8KW gross when its badged at 17KW gross! Checked operating pressure, burner pressure etc everything spot on as per instructions and within limits so that is where i'm at, no restriction in the pipework that I can tell as it was cleaned out when I had to clean the injector which is the correct size so I was thinking maybe the multi-function valve isn't letting enough gas through despite the pressure being right. Quick search online and cross referenced with the instructions and it is showing a different multi-function valve should be there other than what is installed at present, It is saying a Honeywell V4600c1086 valve should be there but the one in place is a Honeywell V4600c1326 does the 1086 superseeds the 1326? Gas rate on fire front and the gas heating stove are fine. Other than what I found the boiler is in very good condition! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
No not a modureg, I set the pressure to bang on 11mbar at appliance govenor as stated on data badge but still no change it wasn't far off before I even wound it in and out to make sure it wasn't stuck, all external controls etc calling for heat etc, Got me scratching my bonce!

Evening all hope everyone has had a good christmas :santa3:!

So here goes,
I attended a property to do a safety cert and service of gas heating stove and back boiler & fire. Came to service the back boiler and fire lit the fire etc and noticed a nice long yellow flame in one area, Long story short found the fires burner cracked in 3 places (looked like it had fire cement or similar on cracks as an attempted repair), flue not mechanically fixed or sealed and signs of spillage (tenant later said she had been getting headaches at home but fine away from home, go figure)! Spiderwebs and dust from circa 1980 (apparently its all been serviced yearly etc) combustion chamber insulation disintegrated, boiler aeromatic burner starting to corrode badly in places and the boiler thermostat phial split. So I ID it and disconnected it with permission, after ordering parts and putting all the faults I found right I light the old girl up, did all my checks etc and went to gas rate it. Got 7.8KW gross when its badged at 17KW gross! Checked operating pressure, burner pressure etc everything spot on as per instructions and within limits so that is where i'm at, no restriction in the pipework that I can tell as it was cleaned out when I had to clean the injector which is the correct size so I was thinking maybe the multi-function valve isn't letting enough gas through despite the pressure being right. Quick search online and cross referenced with the instructions and it is showing a different multi-function valve should be there other than what is installed at present, It is saying a Honeywell V4600c1086 valve should be there but the one in place is a Honeywell V4600c1326 does the 1086 superseeds the 1326? Gas rate on fire front and the gas heating stove are fine. Other than what I found the boiler is in very good condition! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

what boiler is it?

hope its not burner as I put new burner in lol cleaned the injector and pipe too, think I will be giving them another going over though to make sure although i gave them a good clear out b4!

The amount of crud in the builders opening it wouldnt surprise me tbh! Hopefully its something really simple that a clear head will sort out! Fingers crossed the mf valve is ok, think I will take all the pipework off and give it a clean to be sure, can't hurt.........right......:banghead:

Last edited:
Went today to sort out the back boiler, all the pipework was clear as I thought, took the mf valve off and there was a lot of debris inside it so cleared it out as best I could and it solved the low gas rate. It was literally what looked like metal scale deposits in the chambers of the valve which the filter didn't manage to stop entering it the filter was clean! Thanks for all your thoughts on what it could have been they helped me solve the issue! :icon4::icon4::icon4:

The benefits of hundreds of years combined experience buddy, glad you got it sorted :)

The benefits of hundreds of years combined experience buddy, glad you got it sorted :)

Yep that's why I decided to ask on here full of helpful people who don't mind sharing their knowledge, couldn't believe the amount of debris inside the valve!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Hi , At the risk of hijacking this thread I am...
Replies
Views
steve wake
S
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
Back