Back Boiler plumbing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back Boiler plumbing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

martinstorey

I have an old fireplace which I want to get rid of. It has a back boiler in it and 2 pipes that go to the water tank. I have started taking the fire place down and leaving the pipes intact.

I was wondering how is it best to stop water in these pipes?

thanks
Martin

welcome to the forum Martin.

the back boiler is connected to the water, is this an old coal fire thing or a gas back boiler?

It sounds like an old copper back boiler, which heated water via the coal fire, if it is then you need to close the valve leading into the cylinder, then open the drain valve, usually under a 2"brass plate on the floor at the side of the fireplace, once drained the pipeworks can be blanked off at the cylinder, the only problem is the layout of pipe from the return (bottom pipe) to the drain valve, you need to leave a drain connection in, sometimes the tee piece is at the side of the fire place so you can blank it just inside the fireplace, if the drain is on the other side of the fire from the cylinder you will need to alter and leave some sort of drain connection in

Thanks for the replies. I think then I will remove all the surround so I can see whats in there properly. There was a gas fire in front of the back boiler but that's long gone. There are 2 horizontal pipes that go to the tank, the bottom pipe has a drain valve in it. The tank has an electric element in it so that heats the water. So I guessing I turn off all water, open this valve and empty all water and then blank off at the tank. I cant do the blanking off so i'll get someone in to so that.

Don't remove it!! If you have a open fire with a back boiler use the fire to heat the room & burn all your household rubbish on it. There's an amazing amount of rubbish going to landfill that could be used to heat your water. Also there's loads of free pallets & old wood everywhere.

Too late, I have started removing the surround anyway. I want to get rid of it and then put in an open fire anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
Back