Back boiler problem | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler problem in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rudeboytee

The boiler in queston is a potterton housewarmer legend. The problem is when the hotwater is selected on the programmer all the upstairs radiators come on as well. My 1st thought was it is a faulty motorised valve,however after searching everywhere i cant locate a motorised valve. The pump is located just to the right of the boiler with the arrow indicating that the pump is pumping into the boiler. So my queston is could the motorised valve be located within the boiler? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

The boiler in queston is a potterton housewarmer legend. The problem is when the hotwater is selected on the programmer all the upstairs radiators come on as well. My 1st thought was it is a faulty motorised valve,however after searching everywhere i cant locate a motorised valve. The pump is located just to the right of the boiler with the arrow indicating that the pump is pumping into the boiler. So my queston is could the motorised valve be located within the boiler? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
are you sure there is a motorised valve usually these were fitted with gravity hot water and the thermostat turns pump on and of for heating and an anti gravity valve on the heating to stop circulation with out the pump many of these systems used to suffer from heating creeping upwards usual cure was to turn of the up stairs rads
if you have inch primaries to the cylinder its a gravity hot water setup

No im not sure i have no experiance with back boilers,i just assumed that there would be a motorised valve but when i couldnt locate one i wondered wether it would be within the boiler.I have turned off all the upstairs rads so they can use the hot water without sweating cobs.Is there any cure to this problem or have they got to turn off all upstairs rads during summer months. Cheers

no motorised valve in a back boiler,its a gravity set up your working on,non return valve had it,its a old system,try talk them to convert it

Hi I've got the same issue and turned off my upstairs radiators but I'm still not getting hot water. I have noticed the pilot light is on and the back burner ignites but goes off after about 1-2 minutes can anyone help please I've been without hot water for a week now and my 3 year old hates showers :(

Never thought of that thanks do you think it would be worth bleeding all the radiators

Hiya Washer the small tank was empty. I pushed the float down and filled the tank and the back boiler stayed on. Could you give any advice on how I can keep it from happening again x

Thanks guys. Mr Washer thanks for helping a damsel in distress I now have hot water again xx

Thanks, no problem, might be worth getting a plumber in to change the ballvalve, not an expensive job.

and to answer the op,s original problem if you have a fully pumped system the only way rads can warm up when in domestic hot water only mode is if the last tees have rads coming off them in this type of system the last tee on the return must go to dhw coil so in short if its not a new problem its a pipe work issue installers did not know what they were doing

and to answer the op,s original problem if you have a fully pumped system the only way rads can warm up when in domestic hot water only mode is if the last tees have rads coming off them in this type of system the last tee on the return must go to dhw coil so in short if its not a new problem its a pipe work issue installers did not know what they were doing

is it all rads or just one,could be heat leak rad.

op is saying all so if its fully pumped pipework issues,if its gravity non return failed, should not happen with gravity either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

At the moment when you move the hot water...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
I should have said "S-plan plus", of course!
Replies
Views
Back