Back boiler question | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler question in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

djw

Can anyone please tell me if I can legally replace a gas fire using my existing back boiler? The boiler is at least 11 years old, as I have owned the house for that long, and I doubt it was new when I bought it. I have a really old 70's style fire place fitted to it and want to update it, but I do not have any external wall space to fit a new boiler in my house, so want to keep the existing back boiler if I can?

Assuming I have understood you correctly, the gas fire and back boiler are integral to each other, so you are not able to update the fire front i'm afraid for flueing reasons.

You can update the surround of course, but you will still have the existing fire in place.

Thanks Darryl. Yes, I believe that they are integral to each other. Am I correct in my understanding that I can no longer replace a back boiler with a new back boiler?

Yes that is correct, however, I do believe they have recently produced a condensing back boiler which you could now fit. The problem however, is getting the condensate waste water to a drain from the chimney and you would probably need to upgrade the existing gas supply.

Would that mean completely replacing my existing central heating system? Any idea of rough cost?

you maybe able to upgrade your fire if its a baxi back boiler renewal fire fronts where available from baxi dont know if they still are,if you could post up the exact model of boiler,it would help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Back