back boiler radiators | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss back boiler radiators in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Graham

If I install a solid fuel stove with back boiler, with a header tank, in the good old days I'd have expected to have to use cast iron pipes and cast iron radiators: because if you used copper pipes or pressed steel radiators you'd get dissimilar-metal corrosion at the joints between one metal and the other.

However if I use plastic hot-water piping, do I have to use cast-iron radiators, or could I mix and mtch as there is no direct contact between dissimilar metals?

David

I take it your heat exchanger is cast iron. If so there are many many systems made up of cast, copper and steel still going strong after 30 years. They do need to be regularly dosed with an appropriate inhibitor.

I may add that using plastic pipes from a solid fuel appliance would be a no no anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
THanks for that, I'm an electrician, not a plumber, so I thought I'd get the experts' input.

I've seen the results of plumbers thinking they can do electrics, and vice versa, without thew background knowledge too often before to think I can wing it without!

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Are you using just the multi fuel or the oil...
Replies
Views
I found an older post with some info on how to...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate. Been very lucky, a neighbour...
Replies
Views
Back