back boiler service | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss back boiler service in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob150811

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
doing a bbu service this week have mi,s have everything pretty much under control but as I am not a service engineer I do want to cover absolutely evey angle so I have a question for those who do these quite often does anyone put a smoke pellet in the flue liner when they do the boiler I think it might be a tad ott but I,d rather ask those with experience everything else seems self explainitary don't bother suggesting get someone who does these there don't seem to be anyone around here who wants bbu,s

Just service to mi's as far as testing the flue being ott I think you need to read
Reg 26(9)

(9) Where a person performs work on a gas appliance he shall immediately thereafter examine—
(a)the effectiveness of any flue;

(b)the supply of combustion air;

(c)its operating pressure or heat input or, where necessary, both;

(d)its operation so as to ensure its safe functioning,

and forthwith take all reasonable practicable steps to notify any defect to the responsible person and, where different, the owner of the premises in which the appliance is situated or, where neither is reasonably practicable, in the case of an appliance supplied with liquefied petroleum gas, the supplier of gas to the appliance, or, in any other case, the transporter.

Which one you servicing?
Pretty much strip it down to the bare bones, clean everything, put burner back, light up and smoke it
Just remember a big dust sheet or two

dont forget to do your burner test at max rate setting, then turn it back to its setting it was rated to.

its a myson housewarmer with an emberglow 11 fire I think I might have worded it a bit off for silentmike I didn't mean testing the flue was ott I just woundered if some felt the fire spillage test might pull correctly but this doesn't check the boilers ability to produce a large volume of poc,s

its a myson housewarmer with an emberglow 11 fire I think I might have worded it a bit off for silentmike I didn't mean testing the flue was ott I just woundered if some felt the fire spillage test might pull correctly but this doesn't check the boilers ability to produce a large volume of poc,s

not with you,you do a spillage test with boiler and fire running,in regards too flue flow it normally gets done in the draft divertor,you also need to run a match above the draft divertor,outside of the flue to check a secondary flue action can not take place

yeah im not getting this across well bbu,s are few around here the gross of this is 2.5m gas x10 for combustion x 30% excess air its over 30m I know the spillage we tell me if it pulls I just wounder if anyone does a smoke pellet on the flue to check that it handles the volume feed back im getting suggest they are happy with the tests in the mi,s so that's good enough for me I just wanted to check the first visual on a bbu around here is to see if there is an estate agents sign in the garden so these can get tied up with soliciter ard you cant beat them off with shi**y stick

yeah im not getting this across well bbu,s are few around here the gross of this is 2.5m gas x10 for combustion x 30% excess air its over 30m I know the spillage we tell me if it pulls I just wounder if anyone does a smoke pellet on the flue to check that it handles the volume feed back im getting suggest they are happy with the tests in the mi,s so that's good enough for me I just wanted to check the first visual on a bbu around here is to see if there is an estate agents sign in the garden so these can get tied up with soliciter ard you cant beat them off with shi**y stick

just put a smoke bomb in the flue>that is the flue flow test

yeah thanks for that I would rather over do this one than under do it they seem to be agreeing with every thing I suggest co alarm change ventilation for correct size if there that aware of gas safety how come the boiler was last serviced by david beckhams grandad

The smoke bomb is a vital test , as it can also identify any spillages or blockages anywhere up the chimney , granted it isnt hi tech but its neccassary , had one not long ago where i used an orange bomb and the chinmey was blocked so it got a tad smokey as took ages to get through the nest lol,

Yeh The ventilation requirments have changed a bit from the days when they were installed,

You may need more than one smoke bomb, A bright torch and a pair of ladders.
Of course close all doors and windows etc.
Check living room draw. outside chimney. Upstairs. Loft for smoke coming through brickwork. I usually use at least 2 as i cant run upstairs and climb ladders in 30 seconds LOL

I get all my colleagues bbu, fires and any other CF as they worry him it never ceases to amaze me when you take the fire front off and they say "no ones ever done that before"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

We've just sorted one of these situations...
Replies
Views
Np Simon. Hoping to get the boiler engineer...
Replies
Views
Something as simple as turning the power off...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
Back