back boiler servicing | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss back boiler servicing in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob150811

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
got to service a baxi 50/4 with I think a tempest fire front I do hardly any back boilers as there don't seem to be many around here does anyone have a sequence so its done methodically I get there but I tend to take a long time (as I seem to myself to do things backwards) also does anyone have mi for these or know where to get them the fire controls are half-way up on the left ad I want to be able to strip it down without the surround still being attached

Tightness test
Make sure boiler works and gas fire works before you remove it.
Check ventilation
Check flame failure devices on both
Remove fire front and visually inspect it
Check third seal
Inspect boiler
Remove front of boiler
remove baffles
remove burner assembly ( if it's dirty )
Clean air intake and nozzle
Check pilot flame and ignition
Check thermocouple time and condition ( if it has one)
smoke test flue ( check in loft and outside )
Brush flue ways in both directions front to back and bottom to top
Inspect it for water leaks
Re-assemble

Move onto fire
Take it apart and inspect it as you go
Remove and clean injectors for burner
inspect and clean burner
inspect and check time on thermocouple (If it has one )
Look up into flue ways for cracks
If all's well re-assemble and refit the fire front
Test all joints including jets for leaks
Test Burner pressures on both fire and boiler
test working pressure at meter and both appliances
Test for spillage with fire only
Test for spillage with boiler only
Test for spillage with both
Test again with any fans in adjacent rooms switched on and interconnecting doors open
If that's all good, Final tightness test and re-light ( if it has a permanent pilot)

it normally takes a good couple of hours to do it properly.

I expect others will do different but that's my two penny worth

i'd add to that;
charge customer at least tripple cost of a normal service for doing all that

Nothing much to add , just make sure that chimney is sealed and also any holes where pipe work enters builders opening, also make sure that gas pipe is protected

did said b/boiler full strip smoke flue etc etc then did ideal he18 100yards down road for his daughter how much he says £130 I replied given the he was so close oh I,ve only got £120 the last bloke wanted £80 for the both I happen to know he is a bg engineer doing on the side and he didn't do a lot but even so that's stupid money no wonder he couldn't be bothered to do them again

did said b/boiler full strip smoke flue etc etc then did ideal he18 100yards down road for his daughter how much he says

Hope you told him that BG guys are not covered by gas safe when outside working hrs. & is house insurance could be void if anything went wrong, Get so Fk off with BG chaps , Firemen ect moonlighting & undercutting costs.

did said b/boiler full strip smoke flue etc etc then did ideal he18 100yards down road for his daughter how much he says

Hope you told him that BG guys are not covered by gas safe when outside working hrs. & is house insurance could be void if anything went wrong, Get so Fk off with BG chaps , Firemen ect moonlighting & undercutting costs.

I didn't think of it at the time as I actually thought id given a low price and when he said he didn't have enough cash it was a bit of an awkward moment but your quite right. all along this guy was saying he didn't know what they had done with regard to the service but I suppose he thought id be around the same price even if they wernt like for like

I can do a BB service comfortably in 45 minutes if I was cracking on, and had no rectifications. But I always take my time, and allow about 75 mins, and charge £95. But I have done a LOT in my time.

I have yet to see any evidence that insurance is void by having the wrong person do the work. If anything, the Ins. Co could chase the workman.
it fitted . The beleif is along the same lines as the conviction that a suicides family does not get paid his life insurance.

I do not recall a Baxi Tempest. As far as I can recall the control knob is always on the right, either on the top surface or side panel. Be careful that they have not had a "foreign" fire fitted. is there a glass front?

OOPS: Just read it is a 50/4:so is this an inset fire? They do have the controls (micro buttons) on the left. MIs are readily available on line from Baxi. The insets are a pain to refit securely with no gaps. Make sure it is fitted against a smooth surface, not bricks etc, otherwise you may find a load of fire cement has been used to seal.

I can do a BB service comfortably in 45 minutes if I was cracking on, and had no rectifications. But I always take my time, and allow about 75 mins, and charge £95. But I have done a LOT in my time.

I have yet to see any evidence that insurance is void by having the wrong person do the work. If anything, the Ins. Co could chase the workman.
it fitted . The beleif is along the same lines as the conviction that a suicides family does not get paid his life insurance.

I do not recall a Baxi Tempest. As far as I can recall the control knob is always on the right, either on the top surface or side panel. Be careful that they have not had a "foreign" fire fitted. is there a glass front?

OOPS: Just read it is a 50/4:so is this an inset fire? They do have the controls (micro buttons) on the left. MIs are readily available on line from Baxi. The insets are a pain to refit securely with no gaps. Make sure it is fitted against a smooth surface, not bricks etc, otherwise you may find a load of fire cement has been used to seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Hope with your case you reported it to trading...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
How to light a pilot light! Press in the grey...
Replies
Views
Back