Back boiler thicko! | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Back boiler thicko! in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan the plumber

Evening all,

Have spent most of my afternoon scratching my head & stroking my chin (nothing new there then-lol)

So, I am currently doing a bathroom refurb for a customer who still has a back boiler. Today, i was working in the loft & noticed that the vent pipe (or so i thought!) that was going into the f&e tank was full of limescale & was weeping in places. After consulting the customer, i agreed to change the pipework.
The pipework is ran exactly like a vent pipe having an open end and running in to the top of the f&e. As i started cutting in to the pipe, water started to run out and after a few mins of this, the f&e started to empty & fill again!?

I turned the mains off, drained the f&e and then replaced the pipework so thats all sorted, but am still a bit baffled as to what this pipe is? is it the flow/return and if so, why does it have an open vent and water doesnt run out as the pressure builds!?

As you can gather, i dont do a great deal of work on back boiler systems so an clarification you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance all.

why does the water not flow out of the vent when the heating is on!? expansion and all that!......am i being a complete div here-lol

Id get your lvl 2 books back out

the pressure in the system if from the level in the f&e

Last edited:
<---- *bows his head in shame at his stupidity and repeats over & over again "today is going to be a better day"* ;) lol

Dan don't let this put you off asking questions on here!

not at all mate......I don't mind being a div as the only way you find out is to ask......even if it's a stupid question that I should know the answer to-lol

This is true my friend, very true.............and on that note, Im off to get my level 2 book out of the loft ;) lol

You will look back on asking this question and laugh, and why not. If you are not sure and dont ask you will never know.

Keep the questions coming. Every day is a school day no matter how long you have been in the game.

And you didn't throw your toys out the pram and have a swearing rant. Fair play to ya.

your little rant the other day that had me snorting tea out of nose!

You should hear me on full flow. Oil supplier and customet got both barrels the other week. Yes I am in the service industry but I still expect to be spoken to how people would like to be spoken to. I'm not afraid to call it as it is when I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
Would an open hot water tap / open radiator...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
Back