back boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss back boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozak1968

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
A customer has asked for a combi to replace an old back boiler. He would still like to keep the fire working. Is this possible.

should be aslong as the old boiler is still in place as it is part of the fire

A customer has asked for a combi to replace an old back boiler. He would still like to keep the fire working. Is this possible.

You will have to fully decommission the BBU and label accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ideally remove the gas valve to the back boiler to ensure it can not be used

Does anyone know, do you have to drill small holes in the heat-exchanger? or shall I shut up now lol

you need to gain the manufactures permission to keep the fire working and follow there instructions on how to do this if its allowed. Any gas safe engineer can read the gas safe technical bulletin about this issue.

Manufactures instructions must be followed!!

Last edited:
you also need to completely wrap the back boiler in 'do not use' tape ensuring every inch is covered :)

When we used to do this for local council we had to remove the burners diconnect electrics remove or cap gas valve cut all pipework connections next to boiler BG started to drill holes in BB unit !

Does anyone know, do you have to drill small holes in the heat-exchanger? or shall I shut up now lol

seriously ?????? LOL no you dont,but obviously you need to decommission it i leave all controls in just remove the thermocouple cap the gas to the boiler(i do this by removing the tail turning it 90 degrees and putting a 1/2 female cap on it),remove the electrics the reason i leave the controls in is because Baxi once said this is the purpose designed air relief so they should stay put,mark the boiler as dead,now this will all change and neither appliances can be left working if the combustion box has rotted away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
Thanks for both replies - so the search is on...
Replies
Views
Back