back boilers | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss back boilers in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

franz

I will be moving into a 1900s semi in 2 weeks with a gas fired back boiler, dont know the age as of yet.
should i consider taking the whole system out and replacing with a good combi(but not before xmas)
or run with it for a while? is it such a poor system? Do i have to get it certified from gas safe.?
regards:speechless:

I used to live with one I didn't mind it i like the gas fire on the front. A gas safe guy on here should be able to tell you what to look for as to whether it needs servicing or checking over.

you dont know the system get it cheched ASAP, and the content of the report will put a timescale on how quickly it needs changed, if at all, we will disagree on a few things on here, but i think one we will all agree on is that the old system is not as fuel efficient as a new one, however this is where the debate starts, re how much you will save on fuel against the purchase and (guaranteed) breakdown costs over the life of the new boiler, olb BBU'e are not the most efficient, but against the £300 repair bill of your new boiler, added to the initial install cost, can take a long time to get back in cheaper gas bills, but also when you move in would be the ideal time to renew an old system before you decorate the house, if you wait a yr or so and just about get the place squared up the way you want it then pull the old system out then you need to factor in new decor to the bill

id get it seviced/safety checked before using it these boilers need ventilation for safe operation so dont go blocking any vents
on paper a new boiler is going to be 15% to 20 % more efficent but im not so sure its that much in the real world
maintanence cost will be low for the back boiler
as said moving in is the ideal time for major changes which replacing this boiler will be quite a major job

honestly its hard to say. I would get it serviced/inspected by a Gas Safe engineer before its used and then ask his or hers advise on the state of the system. I would also recommend a carbon monoxide alarm.

If your gas bill is £500 per year based on a modern condensing, then a back boiler will at be at least 20% on top so thats only £100 per year extra.
Just make sure it is serviced correctly

A lot of old back boilers have very old style controls so if the boiler is working well when checked I'd say your money would be better spent on modern controls if you don't already have them, TRV's on rads, three port valve, 2 channel digital timer & a room thermostat or programmable room stat.
It won't improve the boiler's efficiency but it will ensure the heat it produces is used much more efficiently, if that makes sense :/
As already said, fit a decent carbon monoxide detector too.

If your gas bill is £500 per year based on a modern condensing, then a back boiler will at be at least 20% on top so thats only £100 per year extra.
Just make sure it is serviced correctly

I think i should move down to England! My gas is £112/month, 3 bed cottage (insulated) condensing boiler, 4 zones. Maybe i should put my skills to better use or get a(nother) divorce :lol:

My gas is £112/month, 3 bed cottage (insulated) condensing boiler, 4 zones.
Sounds a lot Tamz, for a 3 bed cottage. Must be big enough floor area & maybe heating on a lot? I know of new 3 bed cottage running on a lot less with Grant Vortex oil boiler. It is well insulated but is small. Only 2 people living in it, so not much hot water needed also.

Last edited:
It is a lot! The heating has only been off for about 2 weeks this year and we had nearly 3 months of 2ft deep snow. The "good lady" is in all day so no doubt it is on constant. I think i will buy her a hot water bottle for xmas and she can buy me a spade :wink:

Cheap enough, considering high use. One of the luxuries in life you shouldn't do without, - heat, - another one is a good lady! And I guess for to keep a good lady you need heat! :wink:

I will be moving into a 1900s semi in 2 weeks with a gas fired back boiler, dont know the age as of yet.
should i consider taking the whole system out and replacing with a good combi(but not before xmas)
or run with it for a while? is it such a poor system? Do i have to get it certified from gas safe.?
regards:speechless:
Truthful answer keep old boiler/fire as long as possible as more reliable than latest ones. Real world answer you should replace that boiler/fire as not very efficient. Get it checked before using though & get carbon monoxide alarm.

I think i should move down to England! My gas is £112/month, 3 bed cottage (insulated) condensing boiler, 4 zones. Maybe i should put my skills to better use or get a(nother) divorce :lol:
Skills to better use, Are we talking renewables here or do i detect the thoughts of a wee bit of illegal activity.

Last edited:
when we were first married in a little flat with no heating and a mattress on the floor i remember her saying to me weve got our love to keep us warm
now she just loves me for paying the gas bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi appreciate and thanks to all that replied...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
Back