bad workmanship | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss bad workmanship in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

R

REDSAW

yesterday, had a call from woman in council house asking to give a quote to re-pipe gas cooker as on anual inspection (p.h jones) detected a gas leak on the bayonet or theatre cooker. they told customer it was her responsibility!.

arriving at the property standing out side, i thought i could smell gas!.
looking at the job, the external gas piping had been capped 3m away from the cooker bayonet!!. when i opened the external meter cabinet, i was amazed to see it full of BUBBLES?. i then found the test nipple flange cracked so shut of the gas and called the grid.
whilst i was waiting, i took a look at the cap on the pipe out side and wondered why they had cut it seeing as its THEIR PIPEWORK?. I therefore decided to re-connect and do a drop test to the bayonet,=NO DROP!!.

when the grid turned up, he confirmed my finding and said there is also a split on the meter next to the outlet spiggot!.
After a new meter, regulator and e.c.v was installed, i confirmed with him that i was going to re-connect the cooker and He could do the drop test in which passed with no drop!!

so, one mans lazyness nearly cost the customer dearly, what a jerk from ph jones to have missed that, he must of sprayed the nipple, shut the cabinet and buggered off.
i have got the council due to call me to confirm my charge to the woman in order to re-imburse her my fee.....donks.:rofl:

The idiot from ph has actually given himself extra work by being dumb n stupid. It just goes to show he couldnt have done a retest once blanked or else he wouldve noticed still leaking.. eeee ooooeeer

The idiot from ph has actually given himself extra work by being dumb n stupid. It just goes to show he couldnt have done a retest once blanked or else he wouldve noticed still leaking.. eeee ooooeeer

yup, good point.
on my first test as-is there was a 7mb drop without doing owt.lol

we have browns doing doing our local council.
I was once reading the form for a landlord safety inspection written by one of their engineers, he had filled in that the ecotec (with a zero governor) he was inspecting had a 10mbar burner pressure

when i asked the tenant how long he'd been there for she said "he just filled in the form and left, but the funny thing was he was sitting in his van outside for 30 mins afterward"

its the same everywhere with all HA and council contracted work. ive been inside many HA houses when the annual service engineer has come around, they normally dont take the case of the boilers, just visuals and fga printout. 10 mins, done.

Ive even had some one take the name of the new boiler im fitting and do a landlords cert even tho im still fitting it. One of the biggest problems is they are always coverd because they are always followed by there workmates who will hide any issues and never riddor.

you also can understand it to a degree when they have a target of more then 10 properties a day to do. HA's are to blame aswell, no quality control checks and wanting to pay very little per property.

Not all PH Jones engineers are bad! I'm one of the good ones I think! I have been doing servicing on and off in between doing my normal repair work. Was given 12 services to do most days. It's ok if you get a few no access, but once you stumble on a few doubles or a bbu, you're struggling to do a proper check and get them done. I was passing 4 pee day back most days.

Trouble is, it's difficult to plan the work. A cp12 for a tenant is just an annoyance. We now do them at 10 months, just in case we have trouble gaining access and go right up to the 12 month mark. Some days you feel like postman pat, delivering cards to most properties, the next day you struggle to find time for a p!

What you've described sounds to me like they've found a leak, but rather than look for it, gone for the most common cause of gas escapes in HA properties, the tenant's own gas cooker. I've switched more cookers off than any other appliance. Which is then the responsibility of the tenant.

The guy obviously sprayed round the meter, cause it was bubbling when you got there, so I'm surprised that it was actually not picked up. Could have been the tenant getting someone they know to 'have a look'. Like the cooker I found, no bayonet, no paste or tape on the thread, cooker hose plugged straight in to the wall plate. Pouring out of gas. Their 'mate' fitted it. Not so much of a mate now they almost took out an entire block of apartments.

Not all PH Jones engineers are bad! I'm one of the good ones I think! I have been doing servicing on and off in between doing my normal repair work. Was given 12 services to do most days. It's ok if you get a few no access, but once you stumble on a few doubles or a bbu, you're struggling to do a proper check and get them done. I was passing 4 pee day back most days.

Trouble is, it's difficult to plan the work. A cp12 for a tenant is just an annoyance. We now do them at 10 months, just in case we have trouble gaining access and go right up to the 12 month mark. Some days you feel like postman pat, delivering cards to most properties, the next day you struggle to find time for a p!

What you've described sounds to me like they've found a leak, but rather than look for it, gone for the most common cause of gas escapes in HA properties, the tenant's own gas cooker. I've switched more cookers off than any other appliance. Which is then the responsibility of the tenant.

The guy obviously sprayed round the meter, cause it was bubbling when you got there, so I'm surprised that it was actually not picked up. Could have been the tenant getting someone they know to 'have a look'. Like the cooker I found, no bayonet, no paste or tape on the thread, cooker hose plugged straight in to the wall plate. Pouring out of gas. Their 'mate' fitted it. Not so much of a mate now they almost took out an entire block of apartments.

yesterday, had a call from woman in council house asking to give a quote to re-pipe gas cooker as on anual inspection (p.h jones) detected a gas leak on the bayonet or theatre cooker. they told customer it was her responsibility!.

arriving at the property standing out side, i thought i could smell gas!.
looking at the job, the external gas piping had been capped 3m away from the cooker bayonet!!. when i opened the external meter cabinet, i was amazed to see it full of BUBBLES?. i then found the test nipple flange cracked so shut of the gas and called the grid.
whilst i was waiting, i took a look at the cap on the pipe out side and wondered why they had cut it seeing as its THEIR PIPEWORK?. I therefore decided to re-connect and do a drop test to the bayonet,=NO DROP!!.

when the grid turned up, he confirmed my finding and said there is also a split on the meter next to the outlet spiggot!.
After a new meter, regulator and e.c.v was installed, i confirmed with him that i was going to re-connect the cooker and He could do the drop test in which passed with no drop!!

so, one mans lazyness nearly cost the customer dearly, what a jerk from ph jones to have missed that, he must of sprayed the nipple, shut the cabinet and buggered off.
i have got the council due to call me to confirm my charge to the woman in order to re-imburse her my fee.....donks.:rofl:

Engineer will get the sack now!

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
With hob nail boots on ?? Again get it checked...
Replies
Views
He’s brave leaving it on with a drop and a...
Replies
Views
By restriction I mean testing from a gas valve...
Replies
Views
There's nothing wrong with external boilers...
Replies
Views
Back