Badly limescaled heating system | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Badly limescaled heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

GasmanxxxR1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Good evening chaps.

Has anyone hade experience descaling a heating system, standard y plan open vented system with a potterton he boiler.

Some numpty put the pump directly above the boiler on the return. The boiler kept locking out every 30 secs and the customer kept resetting it for 2 YEARS!

I removed the pump and it had about 8mm hole the rest was rock solid limescale, the coil in the cylinder wich was piped in 15mm was solid too. Ive powerflushed it with x800 and had it going. But its gone south again. Took the head off the new pump and there was loads of little stones of limescale in the impeller.

Does anyone know if fernox ds3 descaler would work in a powerflush without damaging it or the system.

Any other tips?

Cheers

The old orange juice song sounds good:
Rip it up and start again ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you know any BG engineers see if you can get fernox sonic clean. It is the dogs dangly bits at shifting scale don't know too many people willing to give it out though. I rescaled a coil on a thermal store this way and it worked luuuvly. You must neutralise it after though that stuff make fx90 look like vinegar

used to get lots of this when I lived in Berkshire, Marlow/High Wycombe very bad, but what you have got is past a de-scale , New boiler Cylinder, pipe work, and push for a water softener

Never found the X800 to be very good needs to stay in system to long, best de-scaler I used was made for Kemco pumps

Brick acid 50% then rinse the **** out of it. Use litmus paper to check ph of system. Keep rinsing till nutral. Or same oh as rap water

All else fails new pipework. So not use in alu hex!

DS3 works well on limescale, it's sulphamic acid so won't do anything nasty to copper.
As long as you've got some flow through the pipework it should work although you might have to do the system in sections to keep the solution quite strong.

The guy at fernox told me it's ok to use it in powerflush machines & I've not had any problems yet - I do give the machinbe a good rinse afterwards though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Physically next to the pump, 22mm pipe goes up...
Replies
Views
Thanks, I shall take a look in that case and...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
J
We’ve had a UFH system installed as part of...
Replies
Views
JSlippy
J
P
Mr Speaker: I'm tempted to draught a sarcastic...
Replies
Views
Back