Balancing CH System | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Balancing CH System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
To those of you who use one, what is the best infra-red thermometer on the market? What should I look for when buying one? Looking to get my first one with a view to making balancing a heating system quicker and easier. What would you all suggest?

Get one with as high a distance to spot ratio as you can; i.e 10:1 is better than 1:1. This determines the size of the measuring area compared to the distance from the surface being measured. If you get one with a 1:1 ratio (usually the cheapest), you would have to hold it against the pipe to get an accurate reading. This is because it averages the temperature over the field of view.

Accuracy is about the same for all devices and, as you are measuring temperature differences, it's relative temperatures, not absolute that you are interested in.

Because these devices measure the heat emitted from the surface, the temperature reading will depend on the type of surface. They are calibrated for a black surface, so if you try to measure a shiny copper pipe it will give a lower temperature reading. The way to get round this is to wrap a turn of black insulating tape round all pipes and measure off that.

i got one from ebay just under £11 with postage from hong kong didn't know whether it would turn up or not, but it did and works great. spot ratio is 12:1

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Yes it is, in the short term just close down...
Replies
Views
O
Have you tried waggling the pin on the trv...
Replies
Views
Interesting idea when most people at the...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks for the reply, that did cross my...
Replies
Views
Back