Band b boiler comissioning? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Band b boiler comissioning? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

solutions

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have been contacted by a potential customer who has bought a reposessed property that has been empty for some time but which has a band b boiler fitted but not comissioned. Its plumbed in but not wired and the gas pipework has not been fitted. If I commission it will it constitute a new install? It wouldnt pass as permitted under diferent circumstances as a band a could be sited in same location without issue. Should it just be ripped out? The boiler is a potterton performa combi.

When you say fitted, is it fitted and working or just fitted?
Personally would just go through the manufacturers procedure, along with your usual gas related checks, and just do a cp12 on it.
If customer wants a full commission including benchmark etc, then tell him new boiler, as it would constitute a new install, hence cannot do the current one as it is band b.

Depends when it was purchased? If it was purchased before the cut off date then I guess it's ok. If it's a landlord who has just fitted it then.......... I would call building control at local council for their stance? Get it confirmed in an email too.

If you commission the rules would surely be the same as when you move a band b boiler within the same property - which you are allowed to do.

It does have to be notified and if you call the safe safe technical line they will give you a special code so that you can notify it online.

As far as i am aware, it is against the rules to commission an appliance that has been installed by an unregistered fitter. HSE will take a dim view on the GSR that does so equally to the unregistered installer should this be the case. So the first thing I would do is to see proof of installation, or I would assume illegal installation. You need to check, or ask Gas Safe for guidance. Hope this helps. After all it could have been fitted by Humpty Dumpty and all the walls could fall down, who knows ?

As far as i am aware, it is against the rules to commission an appliance that has been installed by an unregistered fitter. HSE will take a dim view on the GSR that does so equally to the unregistered installer should this be the case. So the first thing I would do is to see proof of installation, or I would assume illegal installation. You need to check, or ask Gas Safe for guidance. Hope this helps. After all it could have been fitted by Humpty Dumpty and all the walls could fall down, who knows ?

Take a butchers at TB014

But who would be reporting who? Nobody seems to know. Not reporting to HSE, but confirming the installers position. At the end of the day, the installer makes the decision, but we all rely on guidance from those we are governed by. Should that installer miss something and another picks something up, then that is when somebodies living or life could be potentially taken away in no time at all. Individuals choices and ultimately potential risk is the game we are in. I personally would never put myself above the HSE in the rules we have, i am just not bright enough. If i was I would have to write lots of books ;)

Nothing wrong with commissioning it but it's pointless worrying about the benchmark or building control registering. No warranty, not to current regs etc....... Just issue a gas cert and your bill.

Nothing wrong with commissioning it but it's pointless worrying about the benchmark or building control registering. No warranty, not to current regs etc....... Just issue a gas cert and your bill.

Do what you like, of course.

I'm just telling you that the rules are that it requires BR notification if it is commissioned, even recomissioned.
so pay the £2 and register it as per required by Building Regulations. Call GSR they give you a code so you can do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for this I will try and find out what...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
It’s called experience! You’re welcome, glad...
Replies
Views
The worst oil boiler ever to hit the market...
Replies
Views
Back