Banging Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Banging Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matthewseymour

Hi,

We lived in a rented house and have a freestanding Ideal Mexico boiler. I'm guessing that it is at least 20 years old.

We find that it makes a banging noise when it is on. It tends to be at about 2 second intervals and we can hear it around the pipes and radiators in the house when it is running. It does it most of the (but not all the time). It is almost like the sound of a quiet gong being rung in the garage or outside the house. It not that loud, but loud enough to wake up our 2 year old at 5:30am when the water and heating come on! I don't think it is a case of kettling because the sound seems to be quiet different for that (I've gathered this from my reading online).

The landlord's have British Gas cover for the system, but I'm wondered if there is much that British Gas will do? Reading online it looks like it is related to limescale in the system which will not be covered by the plan.

I've tried bleeding the radiators and that does not make a difference so it is not a case of air being in the system.

Is this something to get British Gas out for or is it just going to be something we have to live with unless the landlords can be convinced to flush and treat the system!

Thanks for your help in advance.

Matthew

by your description id say its pipe work movement you can hear as the pipes heat they move and if tight in floor or joist youll hear it reveberating around tightly cut laminate floors often cause an amazing amount of noise
kettling is as it sounds like water boiling in a kettle all mexicos tended to kettle to some degree even from new 25 years ago people were glad to get heating and a bit of noise was acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

H
A professional is needed to diagnose and...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Hi, We recently moved into a new rental...
Replies
Views
@woytaz thanks for the update. It's funny...
Replies
Views
Whoops, yes, well spotted. Getting my systems...
Replies
Views
Back