Banging boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Banging boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

the devil

Hi people
Hope you can help

We are looking at a boiler tomorrow and the problems are as follows

1/ steam in the loft and the header tank nearly boiling

2/ Boiler banging like a goodun

Now I will look at the pump as it could be set too high and pumping over

Anything else I should look for

the boiler thermostat ?? id get them to turn it off untill you arrive or that wont be the only thing your be changing

definetly follow danielp's advice, ring them now and ask them to turn it off until you get there.

Cylinder thermostat? Is their hot water steaming hot? If they run a bath is the bathroom like a sauna? If so almost definitely the cylinder stat......

and check the conditon of the heat exchanger for small leaks and the conditon of the header tank

how does a cylinder stat make the boiler bang?
Steve, how do we know its the boiler thats banging? How many times have you been called by a customer to be told they have a leak on 'the boiler' to turn up and find its a leak on the cylinder?
To be fair The Devil is a first time poster so is he a plumber? If he is would he be asking this question before looking at the job?
My initial 'guess' is that the hot water is over heating and the banging boiler could actually be rumbling bubbling from the cylinder.
The Devil please take all info from the replies and i hope you solve the problem. By the way remember not to get involved with the boiler (which im assuming is a gas boiler) unless your Gas Safe Registered.

It may just be that the temperature setting is too high on the boiler. I have this issue myself!

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/boiler.jpg
Boiler in question is the Potterton. Next to it (in blue) is the hot water cylinder.

In the summer if the bolier is set too hot then it causes a lot of steam and banging of pipes leading to a rapid ejection into the cold water overflow tank.

The solution is to turn down the boiler via the black knob at the front. (See open panel to right). This stops the overheating of the water.

In the winter when the house is a lot more colder then we turn up the dial.

I think whats happening is that if the water is pumped round the system too hot then it returns to boiler still hot. As the bolier goes to shut down then its heating the water too much. Causes a hissy fit.

We also turned down the thermostat on that blue cylinder so that its at 60 degrees and not 70 degrees. Although I am aware that too cool and it encourages bug growth.

If it is just a manual setting then as the temperature drops outside to really cold the customer should be warned to turn up the boiler thermostat again to pump hotter water out into the central heating system. Otherwise it will get cold before it gets back.

Also you may be getting calls like this because its seasonal. IE its sudenly a bit chilly and so people bung on the central heating. Then the weather changes to a bit warmer - or like a heatwave! and so the system cant cope...

Hope that makes sense. Oh and by the way if it turns out that I have a dodgy set up and am doing this all wrong then guys - just shout!

Last edited by a moderator:
It may just be that the temperature setting is too high on the boiler. I have this issue myself!

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/boiler.jpg
Boiler in question is the Potterton. Next to it (in blue) is the hot water cylinder.

In the summer if the bolier is set too hot then it causes a lot of steam and banging of pipes leading to a rapid ejection into the cold water overflow tank.

The solution is to turn down the boiler via the black knob at the front. (See open panel to right). This stops the overheating of the water.

In the winter when the house is a lot more colder then we turn up the dial.

I think whats happening is that if the water is pumped round the system too hot then it returns to boiler still hot. As the bolier goes to shut down then its heating the water too much. Causes a hissy fit.

We also turned down the thermostat on that blue cylinder so that its at 60 degrees and not 70 degrees. Although I am aware that too cool and it encourages bug growth.

If it is just a manual setting then as the temperature drops outside to really cold the customer should be warned to turn up the boiler thermostat again to pump hotter water out into the central heating system. Otherwise it will get cold before it gets back.

Also you may be getting calls like this because its seasonal. IE its sudenly a bit chilly and so people bung on the central heating. Then the weather changes to a bit warmer - or like a heatwave! and so the system cant cope...

Hope that makes sense. Oh and by the way if it turns out that I have a dodgy set up and am doing this all wrong then guys - just shout!
definatly sounds dodgy to me should work anywhere within the temprature
range of the stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

your boiler needs a gas reg engineer to come...
Replies
Views
H
A professional is needed to diagnose and...
Replies
Views
@ShaunCorbs - the heating engineer who will be...
Replies
Views
Very informative...........thx🙄
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
Back