Barclays Bank boiler cover | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Barclays Bank boiler cover in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydrotherm

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
While fitting a new boiler last week the customer told me that he was cancelling his BG homecare as he had received a letter from Barclays Bank saying that if he opened an account with them he would receive free boiler cover.
I suppose it must be part of the home insurance package they are now selling.

They'll probably end up with Homeserve calling!! Good Luck!! LOL

The reliabilty of modern boilers and the recent increase in companys offering boiler cover, just shows theres loads of money to be made.

My mate went to sub to a firm that did this type of work for one of the banks and after the first days training he got up and left, it was a big con. They where told once inside the house to try and find anything to get out of the job ie kitchen unit to close to boiler. These types of things would void insurance. Its a big joke to be fair. As I am self employed I would always advise people to use their local tradesman but if they want to pay a monthly fee for boiler cover then you can't really go wrong with one of the big boys. People will soon cotton on to these "boiler Insurance" schemes through their banks etc

I can vouch that a friend of the family had a fault coded Vokera Linea and Barclays cover courtesy of their bank account, within two days engineer came round, fixed thermistor and didnt charge a penny. I couldnt have got round and the spares let alone fix it for free!

this is bad news, so many big companies offering boiler and central heating cover making it much harder for us average joes.

Very important to read the small print. BG do offer unlimited call outs and unlimited parts, many others do not. I'm with GQuigly, suggest people put the money aside rather than pay for expensive insurance

yeh so many companies charge you £50 annyhow when they are out plus the monthly payments all adds up at the end of the day and try so many tricks to get out of doing it through insurance same with cars etc

this is bad news, so many big companies offering boiler and central heating cover making it much harder for us average joes.

Your right in one way, the advantage of the Barclays one for us is they just use local installers not a contract company like BG or Npower.

ohh is that so, I am going to barclays tomorrow to open up a business bank account with them might make a few enquires about that haha

Holy, well im trying to think if i know anyone who works for barclays now....

I dont :(

Banks and heating repairs seem to go hand in hand

so a over draft is a boiler fan at the wrong speed
a deposit box is a catchment area
a forgien exchange is replacing a saunia duvial with a baxi
a cheque clearance is a request to check clearances around appliance
a unauthorised withdrawal is a drop test
a cash over view statement is a co reading
a GP is the appliance gas presures
a bank getting involved in any thing costs a lot more in the end.....that is a true statement !!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am no banker but to be fair Barclays are one of on two I thinks that did not require goverment/tax payers money in recent times

They must be doing something right
but not boiler cover I must agree

no the turds just make it from me in extortionate bank charges.
dont get me started.

how can moderators get away with being rude about banks and when I do it to other posters I get banned? lol

Now for something controversial ...

Seeing as we're talking about banks, the mistake was made 2-3 years ago when there was a run on Northern Rock. Like it or not, the best cure would have been to let it go under. The other banks would have picked up the pieces.

I appreciate there would have been loads of redundancies and many more people would have had to pay their mortgages (as they were in debt to Northern Rock) and many other problems but if we (as a country) had gone through the pain then we'd be climbing out of it now. Instead, the agony of continued worry (banks not lending, businesses struggling with lack of overdraft facitilities, low mortgage lending, etc) still haunts us and not many are confident things will be much better this year. Labour couldn't let Northern Rock go under as it was in one of their stronghold constituencies.

When a household has to face debt problems the "institutions" do not show much sympathy so why should we do the same to the banks (like Lloyds, RBS, etc)? There are too many banks lending too much money and the government is borrowing too much too.

In a true capitalist economy you don't bail out the companies that fail. It's survival of the fittest.

On a lighter note, I reckon Jeremy Clarkson should be Prime Minister, Terry Wogan the Chancellor and Peggy Archer (is she still in the script?) in charge of the NHS and Welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Still got the leak when checked after he left...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
M
Hi all, A friend of mine no longer needed a...
Replies
Views
malex83
M
Back