basin mixer tap whooshing on cold side???? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss basin mixer tap whooshing on cold side???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Siddiq675

I have a COMBI boiler system in my home and have just had my basin mixer tap in my bathroom changed. It is a premier fj315 tap and not the lift up type.
The problem I have is that when the cold side is turned on, there is a huge whooshing noise where it seems like the pipes under the sink are whooshing too. It goes away when the cold water tap is fully open.

The noise does not happen on the hot side. Does anyone know the reason for this? The bath mixer tap seems to make a bit of noise but nowhere near as loud as the basin mixer. The other taps in the house seem to be ok.

I have tried to turn down the isolator valve under the sink for the cold side but this doesn't help unless I close it 3/4 which the reduces the water to very minimal.

I have tried turning the stopcock in my home down but this hasn't really helped too.

Your help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!
The cold side will be full flow high pressure mains, unlike the slightly more restricted hot from combi.
Turning the isolating valve nearly closed will actually make the noise worse because you then have a narrower opening for high pressure water to pass. Same problem if mains stopcock is turned down and as it supplies the water to everything I suggest you keep it fully open.
What you need is flow restrictors fitted. You can get airators to fit onto the end of spout of some taps, or you could just get a restrictor which fits into a fitting on the mains cold feeding to that tap

Thank you very much for your help.

Willgetting the flow restrictors/aerators stop the noise I'm getting as they will just be on the end of my spout? My spout can be screwed off at the end so an aerator may be the best/cheapest option to try?

Thank you very much for your help.

Willgetting the flow restrictors/aerators stop the noise I'm getting as they will just be on the end of my spout? My spout can be screwed off at the end so an aerator may be the best/cheapest option to try?

Worth a try as the flow will be well restricted with some airators. But there are so many different types of spout threads and designs and airators.
Good thing about just using a restrictor to fit the mains supply to tap is that it will prevent only the mains flow and not the hot

Worth a try as the flow will be well restricted with some airators. But there are so many different types of spout threads and designs and airators.
Good thing about just using a restrictor to fit the mains supply to tap is that it will prevent only the mains flow and not the hot

I have a vanity basin unit so not sure how easy it will be to access the feed pipes to the tap st the back to add a restrictor. Could you send me a pic of a restrictor which would be fitted on the copper pipe on the cold side? I will definitely try the aerator option first and then the restrictor can be a secondary one.

I saw a washer in a tap I removed yesterday, It replaced the washer in the flexi tap tail and only had a tiny hole in it - probably about 1mm, pretty sure it said Pegler on it.
Could only think it's a limiter, anyone else come across these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would just ask them. Yes a bridge mixer is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
For £60 ish quid might be best just to replace...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Thanks to you all for your thoughts, much...
Replies
Views
Back