Bath and shower waste into same pipe? | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bath and shower waste into same pipe? in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Total refit of of bathroom. I've got a 40mm waste from the shower running beneath the floorboards to an external wall and out. Just above where the pipe exits is where the obvious place for the bath waste to exit as well. Should I use separate waste pipes for the bath and the shower or can the bath waste join into the shower waste from above (e.g. using a swept 90deg joint)?

My first thought was fine, crack on, then I was worried about water from a deep bath being emptied into the waste and as the water level was higher than the shower trap, it all emptyin out into the shower tray.

Is it OK to join into the existing Shower waste pipe or should I run a second waste out through the wall?

Thanks.

I always prefer separate wastes where possible.

If the shower waste has correct fall, combining them should be an issue. However, I’d want to join them and run the rest of the line to the stack in 2 inch. Use a wye rather than a tee to connect them.

Also, there could be the risk of letting a full bath go and it pulling water from the shower trap. That depends on trap seal depth, pipe size and pipe distance between the two.

Safest option is a separate line.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes as above just watch your ods
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks Shaun. I didn't want to force it round...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Minimum size should match the trap, if it’s...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back