bath mixer stuck bonnet | General DIY Plumbing Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss bath mixer stuck bonnet in the General DIY Plumbing Forum area at Plumbers Forums

One of the cassettes/valves in my bath mixer tap has gone, so I'm trying to get it out. I can remove the handle but am unable to unscrew the bonnet (see photo). I'm using grips but it's not made any easier by it being a sloping surface. I've tried spraying WD-40 and descaler around the base and inside, and also a strap wrench. Also given it a bit of a bang with a hammer, but nothing seems to work. Grateful for any suggestions. I've seen someone suggesting pouring boilling water over it, but will that damage the sealant around the bath? I really don't want to get into having to get someone to take the bath out (that's if I can find someone willing to do it).
Thanks

Attachments

• bath-mixer.jpg
    bath-mixer.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 29
Just normal grips, with the rubber from the strap wrench underneath to stop them damaging the chrome, although I there is already damage. I'm thinking that if I can't unscrew it, and if I can get a spare, then would the next thing be to get it off with a hacksaw or something?

If you can get a spare, then I’d try losing the rubber underneath, and apply a bit more pressure with the grips. Just a daft question, you are undoing the correct way? (Anti-clockwise).

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
it will be on splines and will be stuck, keep...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The shrouds are generally constructed of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
It doesn’t appear you’ve missed anything...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
Might be blinded to the metal, try some wd-40.
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Question
My father's bath has unknown make tap heads...
Replies
Views
Back