Bath panels | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bath panels in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the best tool for cutting bath panels had a job on yesterday took me 3 hours to cut and fit front and end panels was tricky though

Once you cut them they are a complete nightmare. If I have to fit a plastic bath panel I always check fit it before the bath is secured. If the floor is significantly off the level forget it.

I usually sell the client a half sheet of wetwall which is enough to get a side and end panel on most baths. Wetwall 2.4 x 0.6 is £35 ex vat you need a coner trim a chrome one is £20 but you will get 4 baths out of it. You can sell it as a nice contemporary addition and often you can colour co-ordinate it to the rest of the room or just plain gloss white.

we do not touch bath panals are shower doors joiners job.They can be a rite nightmare

i didnt fit the bath i just had to replace the panels the bath wasnt supported very well and was of level so cutting perfectly straight made no difference

I would cut it with a small angle grinder with a diamond coated disc. I've a lot of experience using one for other similar tasks, and I'm sure if I had to cut one down, I could do a pretty good job with it.

In fairness, I haven't had to trim one down that I can remember. I know that even when I plumb the bath at the right height to suit, some of them can still be a pain to fit.

Yeah, 4" grinder with diamond disk.

Last edited:
Bahco 300 prof cut i think.
Normal saw with very small teeth poor for wood great for plastic panels. cut a sliver all the way down no probs awesome and cheap.just masking tape the bit your gonna cut so it doesnt fray

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a padsaw on my last one which worked well, just sanded down the rough edges afterwards :)

I used a junior hacksaw :( first and only time I tried nipping a shape off the end to allow for some pipes. Looked ok'ish I suppose. Got to do another one soon..

cheers for all advice given
icon7.gif

Fine toothed handsaw, smal one from Spear and Jackson is good.

I use a reciprcating saw with a fine toothed metal blade fo the thicker fibreglass ones (bathstore)

Thin plastic ones i tend to repeatedly score with a stanley and then snap them

Score it with a stanley knife. and cut in from the edges around an inch or so with a junior hacksaw. Bend it away from the score and it will break on the line.
Easy really ;)

Fine toothed handsaw, smal one from Spear and Jackson is good.

I use a reciprcating saw with a fine toothed metal blade fo the thicker fibreglass ones (bathstore)

Thin plastic ones i tend to repeatedly score with a stanley and then snap them
same here, score twice and snap off.
floorboard saw used with light strokes good too as fine toothed.

copeing saw for plastic, electric planer also helps get rid of 0.5mm at a time too, I hate fitting them.

like that idea tackleburger, always getting asked about panels and a tiled one weighs a ton if it is to be removable

Hmm!

Plastic panels?

Fine tooth saw about 14 to inch. Using a grinder may generate to much heat and melt panel edge or warp panel.

Chain drill holes or use saw tooth hole cutter, use a rasp or file bit, or hand rasp or file to widen holes. i.e chain drill hole smaller than you want and then run either half round file if for pipe or flat file if for tile around edge of hole until proper size.

Oh! Aye! Take a sedative and a patience pill before you start as well.

Failing that if new install measure panel and set bath to height.

pain in the orrifice ---- but i find if i batten up behind the panel pretty good - use arcitrave (sp) upside down on the floor for the bottom lip to go under and even a couple of mirror screws if its really flimsy.

cut it with a normal wood saw shallow cuts or my jig saw.

or i just pay a joiner 25 - 30 quid and put it on the job.

I've just bought myself some shears, they are very very good at cutting plastic tile trim, cardboard etc and of course bath panels.

I needed to fit an aftermarket corner bath panel to an existing bath, I knew it would need trimming considerably so I got the shears (£6.99) and they allowed me to keep talking slithers off very quickly until in fitted.

Just buy a pair and relpace them for the 'big sissors' in your tool box, they will do everything the sissors did and more besides.

Best tool I've bought since a Mulitmaster (Bosch version :D).

Yeah, i agree, the fein is a beautiful bit of kit if you have the cash, if you dont then a heavy duty stanley and a couple of blades it is.:D

Yeah, i agree, the fein is a beautiful bit of kit if you have the cash, if you dont then a heavy duty stanley and a couple of blades it is.:D

Stanleys a bit of the posh side what about finger nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
does the bath price include the panel or is it...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not cheap but a possibility...
Replies
Views
Morning All, I have 1800’s farm house 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Inset the panel, use wood screws with white...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I’ll remember this for future jobs. Cheers
Replies
Views
Back