Bath/Shower diverter valve | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bath/Shower diverter valve in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to go change a diverter valve on Thursday. What was ordered was a single inlet/2 outlet valve. What was in there already was a 2 inlet/2 outlet valve non thermostatic (below).

533fcf847034ddf09a15e0e89fc6c73b.jpg

I advised the wrong part was ordered and to order the correct valve.

My question is this: could I have modified the pipework to fit the new valve? (Below)

3bc1f11f321e16b5434d4ddac0b2fd34.jpg

For example put a check valve on the cold and hot supplies and teed them to a single pipe? I know valves shouldn't be fitted where you can't gain access so I figure I did the right thing.

But I'm questioning myself now.

Agree with Chalked, the side inlets should be your hot and cold and the top and bottom should be the outlets
The brass nut/cap should be able to be removed giving you your 2nd outlet
What are the outlets feeding,

Upvote 0
Agree with Chalked, the side inlets should be your hot and cold and the top and bottom should be the outlets
The brass nut/cap should be able to be removed giving you your 2nd outlet
What are the outlets feeding,
Im getting a little confused as to what valve we are talking about now lol

I'm talking about the new valve now.. Two side outlets are the pre mixed outlets, the bottom is the pre mixed inlet, the top is mixing the two side outlets at a lower flow rate.

The old valve: two sides are hot (left) and cold and the two bottom are the two outlets. Not sure what the top cap outlet does but I assume its a third outlet.

Outlets are feeding a handheld shower and a bath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I'm being sent back to tee the hot and cold supply together into a single supply. No check valves. Surely that's against regs, no?

Upvote 0
Won't work.
What is heating the water. How will it be able to give a temperature ? Plus like you say, cold and hot can mix and will cause problems elsewhere.

Upvote 0
Won't work.
What is heating the water. How will it be able to give a temperature ? Plus like you say, cold and hot can mix and will cause problems elsewhere.
I'm just gonna do as I'm told to do.. I would put a check valve to be safe and make the valve accessible by siliconing the tile instead of adhesive and grout. But that's me.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Recycle it and have a nice new one instead:)
Replies
Views
M
  • Question
Depends how much the client has paid the...
Replies
Views
T
  • Question
I am redoing my bathroom and not sure what the...
Replies
Views
Thermostatic shower
T
  • Question
Yup and undersized flow/returns/heat emitters...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Chrome 1/2” Male/Female irons should do the job?
Replies
Views
Back