Bath/Shower Mixer Tap Problem | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bath/Shower Mixer Tap Problem in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

C

comfy_coxy

Hello all,

I need advice on a bath tap/shower mixer unit. I have recently installed a new bathroom suite which came with a tap/shower mixer unit which has a "diverter" consisting of a button which you pull up to divert the water up through the attached shower head instead of through the bath taps. When you hold the button up, the water goes through the shower head, but when you let the button go, it falls down and the water goes back through the taps. I reckon that the water pressure should keep the button up, but in our case there isn't enough pressure. The cold water is supplied from the tank in the loft above, and the hot water from the cylinder in the bathroom, so is on the same level. If I got a mixer tap with a kind of lever which would stay in place, presumably then that would work?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

as you say there is not the pressure to hold the valve open if your running a gravity water supply.

have you kept the 22mm copper pipe to the taps or has flexi pipes been fitted ?
these will reduce quite alot and can cause the same problem.

Upvote 0
Try turning on the bath taps first so the bath is filling, then pull up the lever to divert to the shower. This may work. If not then it is probably the water pressure as the previous member suggests.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your responses guys.

Yes, I have fitted flexible tap connectors about 30cm long which push-fit onto the copper supply pipes. I can't see how they would reduce the water pressure, though. I am still thinking that the easiest solution is to replace the taps with a unit which has a lever instead of a pull button. Presumably that would then stay in place however low the water pressure is, thus maintaining the supply to the shower head.

Can anyone tell me if there is a particular name for a lever/switch valve instead of a pull up one which relies on the pressure keeping it up.

Upvote 0
The Mira Excel bath shower mixer has a lever diverter to the shower and bath, and also works especially well with low pressure due to it's high internal bore size and specific cartridge for low pressure. This will also give thermostatic temperature control on the shower as well as the bath.

It is a bit of a beast however in terms of size but this is the trade off for low pressure performance.

Have a look at the below link....

These are available from Plumb Center and no doubt other merchants.

Mira Mixer Showers Excel Thermostatic - Product Details

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks Any thoughts on a shower system to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Installing a P-shaped shower bath in a small...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
What is your source of hot water? What bar...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, have you fixed your shower and if so...
Replies
Views
Back