Bath tap saga! | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bath tap saga! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

leelister6

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just had a call to change a ceramic disc tap cartridge on a bath, so I thought "Quick in and out, beer money for Friday". Got to job and custard had been having a go and rounded the hex head so told em they would need new taps. Taps are fitted to the long side of the bath next to the wall so told em the bath would have to come out etc. Bath side is plywood, screwed to battens then tiled with mosaic tiles so cant even get that off without destroying it! Had another job to attend so had no time to even isolate the offending tap so customer asked me how much to remove bath side, shower screen, 2 rows of tiles, change taps and refit everything.

When I had peeled her off the floor, she told me they had bought the house before Xmas from a "plumber" and had had loads of plumbing related problems since. What sort of arsole tiles a bath in without leaving access?! Ever heard of magnetic catches and a bead of silicone? Gonna cost this poor couple £350 plus new taps, tiles and materials. I always try to talk custards out of having taps fitted this way and if they insist, I keep the address in me diary for when the taps need changing and am conveniently "Just going on holiday to Borneo for 3 months"

See it all the time, taps on long side of bath up against wall with no access.
The last one I did, before xmas, it was easier to knock a hole in the wall from the adjoining bedroom, than to take out the bath.

Agree, what arsole does that!!

Whats the other side of the bath?

knocking a hole in the wall is a pretty realistic approach!
Would need a second person inside the bath through

If you replace them, fit bristans easy fits, future replacement is the case of isolating , undoing a pair of allen grub screws, pulling taps off and pushing the new ones on, allen grubs back up and you're done

Whats the other side of the bath?

knocking a hole in the wall is a pretty realistic approach!
Would need a second person inside the bath through

If you replace them, fit bristans easy fits, future replacement is the case of isolating , undoing a pair of allen grub screws, pulling taps off and pushing the new ones on, allen grubs back up and you're done

This one is on an outside wall, 2nd floor. Ex council house built with Stairfoot bricks (Like bell-metal) so hole in the wall is a non starter for me. And how long till Bristan discontinue with the easy fit and you cant get replacements?

This one is on an outside wall, 2nd floor. Ex council house built with Stairfoot bricks (Like bell-metal) so hole in the wall is a non starter for me. And how long till Bristan discontinue with the easy fit and you cant get replacements?

Ouch!

i put my money on them doing them for a long time, they are pushing it as their advantage in the market, can't blame them!!

atleast you would have half a chance without pulling the bath out again :)

if you fit easy fit and the custard bought them, you won't be changing them in the future, they will.

I had this too and posted it in here. Tenants kid in my kids class at school. Saw her this week and it's still running!! That was before Christmas. Landlord won't pay for tap removal!!!!

I had a similar going on last yr guy phoned me for a price to change his bath taps when I got there tiled panel taps at the back,I said I could not do it for the price I told him on the phone as it wasn't as he told me after 5min of arguments I walked out ffs.

Just had a call to change a ceramic disc tap cartridge on a bath, so I thought "Quick in and out, beer money for Friday". Got to job and custard had been having a go and rounded the hex head so told em they would need new taps. Taps are fitted to the long side of the bath next to the wall so told em the bath would have to come out etc. Bath side is plywood, screwed to battens then tiled with mosaic tiles so cant even get that off without destroying it! Had another job to attend so had no time to even isolate the offending tap so customer asked me how much to remove bath side, shower screen, 2 rows of tiles, change taps and refit everything.

When I had peeled her off the floor, she told me they had bought the house before Xmas from a "plumber" and had had loads of plumbing related problems since. What sort of arsole tiles a bath in without leaving access?! Ever heard of magnetic catches and a bead of silicone? Gonna cost this poor couple £350 plus new taps, tiles and materials. I always try to talk custards out of having taps fitted this way and if they insist, I keep the address in me diary for when the taps need changing and am conveniently "Just going on holiday to Borneo for 3 months"

Most good bathroom brassware manufactures dont require access from below to replace worn parts.
I can't see how having a access panel would help in your case?
In extreme circumstances I agree, you would have to remove the bath to replace parts.

Most good bathroom brassware manufactures dont require access from below to replace worn parts.
I can't see how having a access panel would help in your case?
In extreme circumstances I agree, you would have to remove the bath to replace parts.

If you have a way to swap the taps without removing the bath, I'm all ears!

ive fitted a number of taps to baths in this position. I also tell them if theres a problem to phone somebody else :). its like built in shower valves, whats a FSI.

Attachments

• tick.jpg
    tick.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 22
Could you not get some stilsons on the insert and replace the insert?

The insert is recessed with only the hex above the tap body and customer has obliterated it! Did get 8" stillies on to start with but it wunt budge. Not heard owt back from em so let someone else have the pain. They look like cheap taps so I doubt the inserts would be easily available, they certainly aint standard ones and no manufacturers markings.

If you have a way to swap the taps without removing the bath, I'm all ears!

The problem you have is that a customer tried to fix it broke it then phoned a plumber.
If the guy hadn't Knackered the hex head you would have just changed the cartridge job done.
if its the small grub screw that holds the tap handel to the cartridge thats rounded off, could you not hacksaw through the handle to gain access the cartridge.
You would need a new handle but cheaper than removing the bath.
Hope that helps mate.

i looked at a tap yesterday. her neighbour had had a go before she called me. he had the handles off and got confused. problem is when he put them back on he rounded off both grub screws.

Got the same problem with taps against the wall, luckily the room behind is a large airing cupboard so I need to knock a hole through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Chrome disc Tops definitely unscrew,, Anti...
Replies
Views
Generally water won't be under the same...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi I live on the ground floor of a small block...
Replies
Views
Copper would be better but if you can't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All, Brand new to this forum so please be...
Replies
Views
Back