bathroom mixer/shower tap playing up | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss bathroom mixer/shower tap playing up in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all

I've got a job tomorrow to look at a bathroom mixer/shower tap that is playing up. It apparently works OK on the bath. But when you pull the diverter switch up for the shower, it is temperamental - apparently running hot and cold.

She says the shower head is fairly new and clean. Assuming no one is turning other taps on while she's in the shower (and nicking the water), what could I check in the tap?

Thanks again for all your advice - it's always so useful.

Jennie

What were the 'symptoms' with your divertor valve?

If it was dodgy, would it just affect the flow rate? (My customer is complaining of hot/cold fluctuations, but I suspect it might be more due to water demands within her flat, and maybe also neighbouring flat, that are taking water from her shower).

Much thanks

Jennie

Upvote 0
What were the 'symptoms' with your divertor valve?

If it was dodgy, would it just affect the flow rate? (My customer is complaining of hot/cold fluctuations, but I suspect it might be more due to water demands within her flat, and maybe also neighbouring flat, that are taking water from her shower).

Much thanks

Jennie

Depending on boiler, if the diverter is affecting flow rate then it will affect water temperature out of a combi.

Upvote 0
Hiya. It's the diverter on a bathroom mixer/shower tap - the kind that lets you choose between sending water through the bath taps or through the flexible hose to the shower.

Upvote 0
Mine was leaking such that some water would dribble from the tap outlet even when showering. TBH, I never noticed a temperature fluctuation, but my tap is gravity fed, not a combi system. You've probably fixed it by now anyway!

Upvote 0
Hiya everyone,
The mystery continues. I looked at the tap today - all seems fine, but the customer insists her shower is fluctuating hot/cold. She has a mixer bath tap with hose attached. The system runs on a combi.
Admittedly, it took a little while to run the deadleg through the tap. Even then, when the hot water came, it took a little while to reach full heat.
The tap seemed fine. The temperature and flow rate was stable, and the diverter worked fine.
I got her to turn the cold kitchen tap on - the flow rate in the shower dropped slightly, but temperature stayed the same. When she turned the hot kitchen tap on, the shower lost all the heat. However, she lives alone, so having her hot water nicked shouldn't be an issue.
The customer insists though that the temperature fluctuates even after a couple of minutes, when the deadleg has gone.
I suspect, though, she isn't giving it long enough. She was quite anxious about wasting water and heating costs when I was testing it.
This must be such a common problem. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts.
Thanks so much for your advice.
Jennie

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
What is your source of hot water? What bar...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I don't see your comments?
Replies
Views
  • Question
It shouldn’t be a lottery when you call out BG...
Replies
Views
T
Replies
Views
Back