Baxi Boiler - Part Identification | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Baxi Boiler - Part Identification in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi All,

I have 29 year old Baxi 24kw conventional boiler (No model number sorry) in front of the burners inside the case is what I can best describe as a rectangular piece of insulation\fibre board\rockwool consistency which protects the case from getting hot. This has cracked and fallen into the burner (Non flammable didn't cause an issue) I called out a boiler engineer who told me the part is no longer available so my only option is a new boiler.

Whilst I believe the engineer that Baxi probably stopped producing a rectangle of that 'substance' many moons ago I don't believe I can't obtain the same stuff and cut it down to fit... It seems crazy to scrap the boiler due to what seems like such a small issue.

So any idea what this mystery material might be? Fire proof and presumably very good at not transmitting heat.

Any help very much appreciated.

It's time to get a gas safe engineer in. You're currently breaking the law and risking your and your family's safety.

Stop now and call a professional!!!

...?

I haven't touched anything myself? I just want to know if the material exists and what it's called so I can get someone to install it as British Gas who has my current "support contact" can't get that specific part so won't do any further work?

Not entirely sure how enquiring to the availability of something is braking the law? For all I know it really doesn't exist and I do need a new boiler.

A simple "Yes it does exist, get a second opinion" or "No, that product was banned\stop being produced years ago, new boiler time will suffice.

The boiler engineer, if he's worth his salt, will know what the material is and where to buy it from.

Not a hard product to source, nor to cut to size, nor fit.

Thank you oz-plumber exactly what I needed to know!

BG made out my boiler was done for! Worth the time & money on second opinions!

This insulation is still available to gas safe engineers (You need to enter your I.D. to purchase).
British Gas will try to get you to have a new boiler cos they are pirates. Get an independant engineer in to have a look

Officialy, if not a manufacturers part or approved by them then it cant be fitted.
Fitting anything else is at the engineers discretion.

Your best bet would be to identify the boiler and look for 'old stock'
Given the age of your boiler and the part in question i would doubt you'll find one (except maybe in the local scrap yard)

If you can stretch to a new boiler then its going to pay off in the long run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back