Baxi solo Pilot light stays on | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Baxi solo Pilot light stays on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys went to see a boiler today.. I got the pilot light staying on but when you turn the thermostat up to get high fire it stays in pilot light.Any advise would be great?

I'm. Just qualified as gas safe. It is a baxi solo manual ignition pilot light. Room seal flue. I'm not the best with multi meters.. the thermostat doesn't do anything when the pilot light is on.

I'm. Just qualified as gas safe. It is a baxi solo manual ignition pilot light. Room seal flue. I'm not the best with multi meters.. the thermostat doesn't do anything when the pilot light is on.
Have you turned the Gas Valve knob to the right place after you lit the pilot flame?

Grey knob button that you turn and push in while press the ignition button?
No not if it's a grey knob Honeywell. There are a few Baxi Solo Boilers. There are different Gas Valves too. That's why I asked which Solo. Some of the Gas valves have a pilot and main burner position so you would light the pilot and then turn the knob to main flame. If it's the Honeywell Grey knob, turning it will put the pilot out.

I the pilot is lit and the system is calling for heat (so you'd expect it to light the Boiler), you need to test the valve with a multi-meter.
Was it a 240V valve or don't you know?

I didn't test it. There was no click sound from the thermostat when I rotated it around. Old boiler I've not had much experience in them. I'm planning to buy a multimeter any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much? Have you seen the automatic multimeters any good?

I didn't test it. There was no click sound from the thermostat when I rotated it around. Old boiler I've not had much experience in them. I'm planning to buy a multimeter any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much? Have you seen the automatic multimeters any good?
Go for something simple to begin with. With one dial and not that many settings until more experienced mate. But I have an all singing and dancing 6 year old fluke.

Most fault finding with boilers are tested with multimeters. I've never been show either in college only few and between if there lucky to get training from there boss or learn yourself through you tube channels.

Most fault finding with boilers are tested with multimeters. I've never been show either in college only few and between if there lucky to get training from there boss or learn yourself through you tube channels.
Wouldn’t watch you tube. Book yourself on a mornings course somewhere. It will make a massive difference. Or speak to your employer.

Baxi 3 day multi meter course if you can

If you plan on sticking at this game I would recommend the Fluke 116. It's damned expensive but perfect for the job and easy to use. There are many others that will do and over the years I have had lots of them from £10 to this one which was £140.
If it breaks I will not hesitate to buy another.

Last edited:
@Inverness
It must be very daunting trying to gain experience by yourself as you seem to be doing.
I hope you stick at it.
There are lots of qualified and potentially good Engineers out there who are keen to work but fall by the wayside through the frustration caused by a lack of experience and the pressure of being alone in that position.
Can you not work alongside an experienced Engineer for a while?

If you plan on sticking at this game I would recommend the Fluke 116. It's damned expensive but perfect for the job and easy to use. There are many others that will do and over the years I have had lots of them from £10 to this one which was £140.
If it breaks I will not hesitate to buy another.
That’s what I have

Baxi do a one day multimeter course , no idea where your closest one would be.
Most of my multimeter training was self thought , we hardy covered it in college.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks. Got someone coming tomorrow as part of...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Sounds like maybe the pump has gone is it hot...
Replies
Views
All basic electrical checks have been done...
Replies
Views
your boiler needs a gas reg engineer to come...
Replies
Views
Hi Thanks for posting on the forum...
Replies
Views
Back