Been told there is scale in my boiler/ CH circuit | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Been told there is scale in my boiler/ CH circuit in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Hi,

I have my boiler on a boiler plan with Baxi. The heating hadn't been turned on since spring (a rookie mistake no doubt.) Engineer visited but he was only there to service. I think he briefly called for heating while doing whatever he was doing and then said it went "crazy" noise wise and said it was scale. It was only quick, he didn't run it for more than 10 secs.

Hot water has been working fine whole time and still does.

He found out I was a plumber (mainly because I gave him an f+e to stand on) and so left me with some free chemicals to add to the system but wasn't too confident it would do much. He said pop them in the towel rad and let it circulate on high temp for as long as poss.

He said there's no need to drain down or anything else you can do.

It's a one bed flat, combi, 4 rads.

Before doing this I thought I'd check on here....Few questions

1. Is this all you'd do too?
(disclaimer: Skills/training wise I'm not gas safe and the only heating jobs I do are change rads and valves, no controls or pumps or stuff like that. so ultimately it's all i can do but i could always get someone else to do something else if it would help... )

2. If it makes a lot of noise should I just stick with it and let it circulate hoping it quietens down? Or stop and contact them.

3. Am I likely to lose hot water functionality - currently working - should the scale circulate and get stuck somewhere/do whatever damage it does internal to the boiler?

4. Would you add any other chems, different or more or proceed in a different way to the one he suggested?

Attached is pic of the chems.

Thanks

chems.jpeg

You can't leave the cleaner in but it wouldn't hurt to spend a few hours replacing the system water and adding the boiler silencer, I had a in depth conversation with the fernox rep last week he said their chemicals are PH neutral so can't damage metals, the silencer can increase the thermal efficiency in a system and reduce noise, Before doing anything turn your boiler temperature to 50 °c and run the heating to make sure the diverter valve is working as it should ? Drain the system whilst hot and refill and inhibit. Kop

You can't leave the cleaner in but it wouldn't hurt to spend a few hours replacing the system water and adding the boiler silencer, I had a in depth conversation with the fernox rep last week he said their chemicals are PH neutral so can't damage metals, the silencer can increase the thermal efficiency in a system and reduce noise, Before doing anything turn your boiler temperature to 50 °c and run the heating to make sure the diverter valve is working as it should ? Drain the system whilst hot and refill and inhibit. Kop
He didn't say I couldn't leave the cleaner in. Thanks for the heads up. Just read the back of the bottle and it says "circulate for one hour, drain and flush." I don't have a flushing machine, never used one, is it worth me using it at all do you think?

Does it make the noise when hot water is on / running ?

Similar plumbing topics

System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Anyway, you can always increase the boiler...
Replies
Views
I feel for you, it's a bad position to be in...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
(Just bumping a few older threads, they will...
Replies
Views
Back