Best brand of power tools | Plumbing Tools | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Best brand of power tools in the Plumbing Tools area at Plumbers Forums

B

Bhoydavid

What would you think are the best brands of power tools out there in terms of quality, durability and price? Looking to buy a screw gun and sds hammer drill and just want to know of the best brands. Thanks.

A few factors need applying..i.e whats your budget ?...Hilti the best but expensive....everyone has preferences but some have more money than others .I have a hitachi 110v sds old but still going strong.Also take into account how often you'll use it and for what type of work you need it for ...good luck it 's a minefield lol regards Turnpin:star:

Hilti if you can afford it, tough as nails, great quality and great after sales support.
Milwaukee is my preference, powerful, good quality and a huge range of tools but all are heavier than other brands offerings and 80% of the time more expensive than other brands bar hilti
dewalt and makita are pretty much level
Panasonic cordless tools are good but limited range

I use Milwaukee. Performance is better than most other popular manufacturers and they're top quality. Never had a tool break yet.

Hilti is no doubt the best but they're very very expensive.

Makita seem to have the biggest range of tools that are compatible with their 18v batteries but I'm not a fan. DeWalt feel like toys to me.

Used to have a Bosch kit with NiMH batteries that all went bad so that put me off them.

If you are buying your power tools for the first time write down a list of things you would use them for and buy to your budget.
Any cordless from Dewalt Makita Bosch Hitachi Panasonic Metabo AEG Milwaukee or any other well known brands will do you for a cordless. Hilti are about the best but out of the price range of most and for everyday use offer no real benifits. If you are using it for a screw gun with the occasional 5, 6 or 7 mm drill a 12 or 14v is fine. Higher voltages are heavy for continued use and offer no benefits for screwing and they are all rubbish at drilling even the hilti's
For an sds look for something with higher impact energy (joules). The brand is less important. They will all drill holes.
For example this drill
Hitachi DH26PH SDS + Hammer Drill 3 Mode Range | Power Tools Direct
is a better drill than this one at more than twice the price
Milwaukee PH26X 26mm SDS + 3 Mode Hammer Drills Range | Power Tools Direct
which is believe it or not more expensive than this hilti
https://www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-339787
(if the link doesn't work it is a TE2-M and is £172 which is negotiable on price or extras if you get hold of a rep)

On the SDS's the Hitachi is the best buy.

As said think what you will be using them for and buy to your budget.

Buy what you need to get the job done not what will get your fellow tradesmen drooling.

Thanks for the replies. I have a makita 18v screw gun that has 3 speeds but it's broke and only works on speed 1 which isn't really good. My time is just out so really looking at cordless screw gun and cordless sds hammer drills. Thanks for the info and help. I know we are all based all over on here and a lot of cities and towns have their own wee tool stores which are good and reliable but is there any good websites for tools online? Looking to just add all the tools I need to my kit before I get a full time job. Seen the rothenberger gas bottle nozzles are about £70 and a bending machine is about £110. God it isn't half pricey :santa3:

I had a Hitachi SDS lasted about 18 months of moderate use was never really happy with it just didn't feel up to the job

currently using a Bosch SDS two years on still working ok and feels good and solid

I have a Dewalt 18v Combi drill love the small size and weight but the gearbox went after approx 11 months (lost hammer action) repaired under warranty but not confident it won't go again

The old Elu tools were good, made in Switzerland was told they were same as B&D professional range

Nearly all my kit is Makita. Corded and cordless. I personally don't think it's all that, but once you have bought a few cordless tools, you are kind of committed because if you stick to the one make you can buy 'bare' units which are cheaper.

I have about 6 different cordless Makita tools, one charger and four batteries. Which means carrying less stuff on site.

There corded stuff is all middle of the road too. If (god forbid) the van got broken into I would probably start again with Milwaukee as people seem to sing their praises.

Nearly all my kit is Makita. Corded and cordless. I personally don't think it's all that, but once you have bought a few cordless tools, you are kind of committed because if you stick to the one make you can buy 'bare' units which are cheaper.

I have about 6 different cordless Makita tools, one charger and four batteries. Which means carrying less stuff on site.

There corded stuff is all middle of the road too. If (god forbid) the van got broken into I would probably start again with Milwaukee as people seem to sing their praises.
Had a discussion with tools manager at Crosslings other day he's well impressed with makita and metabo , told him I wanted a milwakiee coffin and he thought I was mentally ill. Said their service was rubbish I count disagree more! Sent a recip back as it went for a swim in headder tank.... They simply replaced it foc!

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I have a Dewalt flexible shaft bit-holder...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Same here. There are times you just cannot...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Sergiu I would use it, but it's hard to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Ryooo, cool for size, excellent bit of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I agree RAK and vitra both good, rak has way...
Replies
Views
Back