Best fixing for thermal blocks | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Best fixing for thermal blocks in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
What are the best fixings for thermal blocks?

I have a large designer radiator to fix to lightweight/thermal blocks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last time I worked with that rubbish, I drilled a hole about 3/8" - 1/2" diameter, made wooden plugs tapering from about 1/4" to 3/4" drove them in tight and sawed them off flush. Some may have been a tad bigger than that. Then pilot hole and screw into that.

Nothing else would work as the stuff was so soft any expanding plastic plug just increases the hole size and works loose whilst you're tightening.

Old fashioned method but sometimes the old ways work best.

Had a low level toilet cistern about 5 years ago that would come loose from a thermal block wall every year or two, previous plumbers had tried all sorts without success.
I cut out a piece of 8mm ply to size and used about 20 rawlplug uno's to fix it to the wall, also put a good amount of silicone on the back of it. It's not come loose yet.

Had a low level toilet cistern about 5 years ago that would come loose from a thermal block wall every year or two, previous plumbers had tried all sorts without success.
I cut out a piece of 8mm ply to size and used about 20 rawlplug uno's to fix it to the wall, also put a good amount of silicone on the back of it. It's not come loose yet.
Spreading the load is a really good way done it loads of times with Bath Stone which is quite friable. However rads really need to be as close as possible to the wall and the fuxung invusibke So I would and have used the tapered wooden peg method...Last Plumber..esp as dry pegs get a bit damp and swell inside homes and get stronger. centralheatking

I use a 6mm drill bit ( long one) and put in two brown plugs. The first one needs inserting by Putting it on the ent of a 100mm screw and hammering it in. The next will just need a tap in.
then use a 100mm 10 gauge screw.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Looks like a certainty unless that heat source...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
They generally have the same size thread. 3/4"...
Replies
Views
City should be able to order it eg plumb nation
Replies
Views
  • Question
Depends if it was drained you should be ok but...
Replies
Views
Sorry I made the wrong assumption! The gas...
Replies
Views
Back