Best option for new boiler? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Best option for new boiler? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doracake

Hi,

I'm wondering what proper plumbers think my best option for a new boiler is. I had a British gas salesman in for a quote purely to try and get a handle on the best options.

The house is a semi detached bungalow with 4 rooms, bathroom and a small kitchen. There is a radiator in every room and I plan on putting just a mixer shower in the bathroom.
I will be doing a loft conversion and adding 2 more rooms and another bathroom.

Currently I have an old (recently condemned) baxi back boiler situated in the dining room chimney breast behind an old fashioned fire that will be going. Tanks are in the loft to the side of the Chimney breast against the party wall. The tanks are not very big. I had initially thought of a system boiler so I could install power showers but the HW cylinder is too small.

I'd prefer the Boiler not to go in the Kitchen as it's on the small side already.

If I get a combi the BG guy said drainage was a problem if the boiler goes in the space were the tanks are in the loft.

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Hi Doracake
I would recommend a combination boiler fitted in the airing cupboard vacated by the HW cylinder.

There are a couple of guys from North of the Border on this forum, perhaps post in the I'm Looking for a Plumber section and get some good advice from them.

Did you want to have a Back Boiler and fit a bigger hot water cylinder ? if so Baxi do a condensing back boiler , but is has an electric fire.

Hi Doracake
I would recommend a combination boiler fitted in the airing cupboard vacated by the HW cylinder.

There are a couple of guys from North of the Border on this forum, perhaps post in the I'm Looking for a Plumber section and get some good advice from them.

The Combi in the loft was my thought as it seems the easiest install. I've read Combis are not the best if you have more than 1 shower though, hence my post.

I tried to post in that forum yesterday but it didn't seem to appear. I'll have another go or PM a mod.

Did you want to have a Back Boiler and fit a bigger hot water cylinder ? if so Baxi do a condensing back boiler , but is has an electric fire.

I originally wanted power showers & a system boiler, but not enough to pay for a big enough cyclinder which I'm guessing is pricey these days.

The Fire in front of the back boiler is a monstrosity and has to go. Also the fact that the new back boilers are condensing is a no no as getting to a drain is very tricky (Chimney is no where near a drain).

cheers for replying guys.

I would always recommend fitting at least one electric shower when having a combi. If ever the boiler packs in, you can still have a hot shower. Have had a few customers insist on mixers run off the boiler and every one of them has regretted it at some point!

I'm not the decision maker in our house :lipsrsealed2:

I'll mention that to the missus.

I have a 3storey house with 9 rads 1 shower running perfectly ok on a main he condensing boiler, it works really well and I have found that if you buy a good quality shower you will have no problems at all. Which makes the task of the drain for the boiler a simple task to get a reliable effective heating system. The drain can go some funny old routes if it's inside as long as it is sealed internally, get a quality thermostatic controlled mixer, and think, how offen do more than 1person shower at a time? In my opinion you are best to work out what size boiler you need and buy the next one up so it's not working at capacity all the time. if in future you want to add to the system this should be ok

Why not Boilerbud?

My loft will be 'upstairs' in a years time.

As the tanks are there I'm thinking the piping would be there and it's an easier install and cheaper?

Thanks for replying

List what your priorities are and best way to serve them.
example.
Do you want to use the two showers at the same time.
Do you want to store hot water.
have you the room to store enough hot water.
Whats your mains pressure like and flow rates.

The cheapest way on an installation to get hot water is a combi boiler, the biggest is aprox 42kw, this will deliver about 16 litres of hot water with a 30 degree rise, from the mains temperature.
next option is a boiler containing a thermal store, example of these are a floor mounted 440 or 550 Bosch boiler, expensive, but will produce large amounts of hot water 17-18 litres again with a 30 degree rise. Problem is these boilers are floor mounted and are the size of a washing machine.

Other options are, unvented cylinder, with a system boiler, large amounts of hot water, but large amount of space needed to store the cylinder and boiler.

So many options, all depends on budget, space, requirements and what flow rates you have coming into the building.

Mark your priorities from 1 to 10, then tell the engineer what they are and they can quote with them in mind. Jon in Leicester.

To answer some of your questions.

Stay away from Big Gas or other such likes unless you need the instant finance. You will pay ott as they have BIG overheads. They do however have the benefit of a same or next day call back, albeit by a clue less numpty , but horses for courses.

Decide on your budget then ask some local guys for quotes. Local independents can and do offer just as good a service or better service than the big boys.

A system boiler with unvented cylinder may be the best option but it very much depends on the usage and what you are willing to spend. Highflow combi's are an option if you have the space for a washing machine.

Boilers in a loft are only a problem to the H&S enshrined service engineers of the big mobs. Highflows are not an option up there unless you get it up. ( I certainly, am past that stupidity)
Condensate pipes (drain pipes) are never a problem without a solution.

Thanks for the replies Gents.

Thinking of my priorities, I'm not bothered about 2 showers at once and I don't see a huge advantage in stored hot water if a combi produces it 'on demand'.

Cost is quite high up the list. I'm by no means a cheapskate but we have 20 other things to shell out for in the short term so it I can't throw money at it.

I had BG in purely to hear my options. I'll defo. be going for a local firm. BG quoted my 6k for a combi, new rad valves and a pump to route the condensate water to a drain.
Knowing the ballpark figure for the material I struggled to contain my laughter. I guess that's what pays for the brand spanking Beamer he turned up in!

I'm edging towards a combi in the loft/upstairs but am now thinking it might be better situated on the gable wall above the existing bathroom and would be in (or beside) the new bathroom when it's put in. There's mains and a drain below easily accessible and the flue could go straight out the wall.

I've a local firm coming round this afternoon to quote.

cheers for the input Gents!

Are BG still giveing out bmw's to their salesmen ? You'll be ok with local installer ! will turn up in a Lamborghini (secondhand of course) poor old gas installers !! or so the Tax man thinks , LOL :auto:

First local guy reckons a Baxi Duotech 33kw is the ticket.

Will do our size of house and the expansion upstairs. Best place for him is where the tanks were....

Duotec is a cracking boiler. Bet it's not gonna come to 6 grand though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
A decent water pressure and flow will be...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
Not always smaller no, but they’re not beasts...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
Back