Best way to cut clay soil | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Best way to cut clay soil in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybo_1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi everyone.

Currently on a job where I need to cut into clay soil to enable ground floor toilets. Currently it has a timesaver coupling on but I need to cut 4 inches down. This is the first time ive had to do it and was just looking for some advice from some of the older, more experienced lads on
here. Ie, grinder? What sort of blade? So on.

thanks lads

Grinder with ordinary blade for stone/concrete will fly through it, just the same as cutting a clay brick.
Guess you could use a diamond blade suitable for same.
I use 9 " grinder with ordinary blade but have used a 4 1/2" wee grinder for awkward below floor spots.
I first cut into the top of pipe as far as I can & then cut beside that & break the bits off to allo access to base of pipe.

Sthil Saw or 9" grinder with diamond blade like best said, the diamond blade cuts the clay far easier than a normal blade ,

If using a 9" read what best says as if its a 6" clay then the blade will only go through so far you need to take a check out of the top to allow the grinder to cut bottom half,

If in situ use. 4" grinder with diamond blade- normal black one bounce all over . In on the floor sthil saw every time. Cut rotate cut .... Don't plunge it will snag. Use blade to chamfer Pipe. Lots of silicone grade on rubber

Or one of these £25 to hire.

HSS Hire - Soil Pipe Cutter Hire and Rent image.jpg

Thanks for advice guys. Cut the clay with a diamond blade in my angle grinder and went through it like butter! Don't know what I was worrying about!
A1FD1628-BF26-4F33-A7D3-D8C822DA0FE0_zpsfr0viqyv.jpg

Please excuse the patch of water under the 1 1/2. The chippys knocked it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Providing there is a finned seal and the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
D
Very hard to determine what you can and can't...
Replies
Views
Thanks alot
Replies
Views
G
Need to remove the boxing could be a bad boss...
Replies
Views
Many thanks Ben, points taken. Geberit, it's...
Replies
Views
Back