Best Way To Go About Getting Site Work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Best Way To Go About Getting Site Work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

C

csmithy

In my area there are alot of builders putting in applications for new homes from 3 homes up to 10. Can anyone help, what is the best way to approach these builders about putting a price in to do the plumbing in them.

Thanks

Call them up, ask for the work. There is no set way to approach anyone. Some may welcome the quote, some might tell you to do one but if you don't ask you don't get.

As said, if you don't ask you don't get. Go and see them or give them a ring.

Don't try to buy the work though, thinking you can go in cheap on this one and make it up on the next job with the same builder. There's no loyalty out there, as they will go for the cheapest next time.

Also be aware of payment terms.

As these have said, unless you have plenty in the bank stay clear. Many builders will rob you blind, heard of this going on a lot.
While you are waiting for payment, you will be unable to do any more work as you will run your credit account to the sky.

site work is ok, but have had a few problems getting money because the properties are not selling lucky i got the money but i know many plumbers that have been waiting months on money and being out 1000s in materials and you have to keep your suppilers happy or you will never get another screw lol

my old company was owed 1.6m from one builder at one stage, be warned if they dont get there money you wont get yours. You need to make sure that the work can be paid in small periods (once a month) imagine having to buy the first fix materials for 10 houses over a couple of weeks and then wait months for your money when your supplier wants paying at the end of the month.

i know a few plumbers that are owed thousands by builder and have never seen it. It may be an idea to agree labour and allow them to supply if possible.

i would not go in on day rate for labour only, i would give hours or price for specific jobs. ie. 1st fix, 2nd fix, 3rd fix/commissioning. so the builder knows exactly how much he will be paying out.

it will depend on the builder really and how he want to go, i know a few builders that would rather supply the materials and just pay labour on small sites of a single or few dwellings. You have to quote what the builder wants at the end of the day.

Basically builders = steer clear unless you like gambling with your money for the 'reward' of getting paid

99% of Builders will rob you ! Do-not belive anything they say !! will promise you everything and deliver nothing, you will run up bills and when you can not keep up will chuck you off, cant pay supplier out of bussness. They do not care Stay well clear

have to argee with jtsplumbing site work is not worth it.
it did three small sizes in my time and all three times stuggled to much money and not worth the hassle.
what is worth it is private houses for joe bloggs.
i find that some jobs pay better.

I'd stay clear and go after your own work. Site work for building companies can cripple you financially for little reward. Most of these companies have their own list of plumbers they can call on and they have mutually agreed payment terms with them.

Similar plumbing topics

J
Get gas safe to inspect it
Replies
Views
Bit late to the show but I would have beeen...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Best possible advice would be speak to local...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
Back