bg install work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss bg install work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

wildcard

Gas Engineer
Anyone on here doing any bg install work as a contractor? Just want a heads up on what it"s like as I keep getting approached by an agency offering me ££££. Cheers

There was someone on here a week ago doing loads of big jobs and wanting to partner with Forum Members then share profits. Based in Surrey, Redhill or so but jobs all over the place & in London. Can't remember who it was? He might post when he is 'free'

Anyone on here doing any bg install work as a contractor? Just want a heads up on what it"s like as I keep getting approached by an agency offering me ££££. Cheers

Only thing is Agency will take large part of money, what were they offering per install, sometimes contractor gets all the crap jobs that BG guys don't want to touch . also depends on area you covering, should know the score , driving a BG van

When I looked into it I didn't think I could earn money off it due to times allowed per job. I can't remember what the prices were, I think it was £20 per hour 8 hours for combi swap so £160.00 but don't hold me to that? I didn't think it was worth it.

And they wanted me to go limited.

Millsy 82 is about right, will pay you what looks a fair hourly rate , but will give you set amount of hours per job , so 8he job you will earn £160 take 14 hrs. and you will still earn £160 so then your on just over £11 per hr., then if you work with a mate suddenly your earning Less than minimum wage.

I went to the induction and assessment thing you have to do with them, left it and never contacted them. They do expect a lot from you, I felt like I was basically going to be employed by them. I had to give them a set 2/3 days a week for work and had to give them 3/4 weeks notice if I couldn't do one of the days. You have to call the customer the day before to confirm the job and the day after to make sure they are happy with everything. They also use this web app in which you have to log every single thing you do - this along with the power flush and the 8 hours you get for a combi swap didn't seem worth it to me. Too many hoops, may as well be employed.

We worked for them a few years ago doing 2/3 days a week, wasn't really worth all the hassle though. We started through an agency but then ended up as direct subs. Great hourly rate, but the hours they give you per job are poor. They expected us to go to meetings once a month about 30 miles from home, took about half a day all in.... So no wages that day! When we left all the job details had to be filled in online, this was usually done at home at night. It was a fair amount of work they expected from you, suppose it kept us going when we had not long started though.

If you do start with them the surveyors can give you heavy grief!! We turned up to an install once, boiler getting moved to the hall cupboard and flued through the wall, sounds simple... Only through the wall was the neighbors hall cupboard! :thinking: Sent home that day with no job, 3 hours traveling all in with no compensation! Its like they think its a privilege to work for such a great company! :)

CONDENSING BOILER CONNECTION PACK Mechanical 0 Hrs 35 Mins
INSTALL CONDENSE PUMP Mechanical 0 Hrs 47 Mins
WASTE COLLECTION Mechanical 0 Hrs 1 Mins
Install horizontal flue Mechanical 1 Hrs 9 Mins
TN main earth system Mechanical 0 Hrs 1 Mins
INSTALL OVERFLOW PIPE (22MM X 3MTR LENGTH) Mechanical 0 Hrs 7 Mins
INSTALL PIPE (28MM X 3MTRS LENGTH) Mechanical 0 Hrs 23 Mins
INSTALL PIPE (22MM X 3MTRS LENGTH) Mechanical 0 Hrs 23 Mins
Visible main earth connection Mechanical 0 Hrs 1 Mins
PCH COMBI TO COMBI REPLACEMENT Mechanical 5 Hrs 25 Mins
POWERCLEANSE SYSTEM powercleance 0 Hrs 24 Mins
MINOR BUILDING WORK Building Work 0 Hrs 47 Mins

This is a job I did for BG, it shows the tasks and time allocated. Total time 10hrs 49min

thats a joke to install bonding 1 min lol

(@ Snoopy) and how long did it take you?

With BG's latest promotional offer(s) their prices are more in-line so they are getting far more work. I know I 've lost a number of boiler swaps to BG and I never used to, the scheduling is interesting, perhaps I'll mention that to a potential client next time.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how they get these times from ??????????????????? must be on a different planet than the rest of us, be interesting to see BG employees do it in that time

You can begin to understand why some employees don't last long there. There's also the need to push sales of various items. I'm surprised the list doesn't include: 'TIME TO CONVINCE CHSTOMER TO GET SYSTEM POWER FLUSHED: 1hr

Doing BG work is just like working for any other agency , You do all the work, take on all the responsibility, and they take all the profit and more from the job with very little risk.

It took me 1 1/2 to 2 days to do one. A powercleance is connecting up the powerflush machine to the system, adding cleaner and let it run. A powerflush is a bit longer, a bit under 4 1/2 hrs which is a joke.
If you work through agency, the agency takes a cut and there is weekly fee to the payment company.

Is that there new trick then? Customers think they are having a powerflush but in fact they are having a powerflush pump connected up for a few minutes. Is that so they can sell a powerflush in a couple of years? Lol

4 1/2 hours is more like although years ago we used to get a day for a powerflush.

Similar plumbing topics

turned out to be a small section of pipe at...
Replies
Views
S
I’d only choose something named and with a...
Replies
Views
Still got the leak when checked after he left...
Replies
Views
Alpha 2/3 manual. Shows variant with air...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the reply @Timmy D thats a...
Replies
Views
Back