Bi thermal heat exchangers ? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Bi thermal heat exchangers ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Bi thermal heat exchangers... I think there called that anyway... The ones in old Worcesters 24i, and combis with no plate heat exchanger & diverter valve.

I have to look at one next week. Customer says water flow poor, hot water almost boiling at taps!!

Sounds like the heat ex is scaled up, but I can't get my head around the design of this heat exchanger! Surely in the winter with central heating on, the water side of the heat exchanger would get super hot, boiling almost whilst water not being drawn off...? This would also explain scale build up as its going above 65 calcium type deposit temps? Is this the reason there not used anymore?

check the mains stopcock is fully open before doing anything with the boiler! :)

Bi thermal heat exchangers... I think there called that anyway... The ones in old Worcesters 24i, and combis with no plate heat exchanger & diverter valve.

I have to look at one next week. Customer says water flow poor, hot water almost boiling at taps!!

Sounds like the heat ex is scaled up, but I can't get my head around the design of this heat exchanger! Surely in the winter with central heating on, the water side of the heat exchanger would get super hot, boiling almost whilst water not being drawn off...? This would also explain scale build up as its going above 65 calcium type deposit temps? Is this the reason there not used anymore?

seems to work ok in intergas boilers :)

Who says these type of combined heat exchangers are not used any more?
Quite a few recent combis without a separate plate heat exchanger. Modena HE off top of head.
I think a lot of manufacturers went down this route of plate heat exchangers due to scaling up and being easier/cheaper to replace the plate itself.

If its the old 24i check you have decent cold supply and then the filter on cold water inlet. If that ok the heat exchanger probably scaled up.

They're called twin pass heat exchangers, the pump doesn't run so the ch doesn't come on when the dhw is being used. They may run briefly if there is prolonged dhw use. They stopped using them for several reasons, the heat loss through heating up the ch water when not used, the heat ex cost if needed to be replaced, the scaling up of heating the water directly.

Go with a thermometer and 'flow cup'! Cold water supply temp has risen quite a bit recently... ! The design has been around ages to be honest... 1st I remember was a Saunia Duval 920 thereabouts? If the complaint is water too hot then check out water flow rate against expectations IMHO :)

Went there today, cold water was 16 lpm, hot water was 5 lpm!

I descaler attached descale machine for about 1 1/2 hr, re connected, and only got 6 lpm!! Ahh!

Filter on cold inlet clear, so took out flow switch and it had the most stupid restrictor in there! Hot water flow now okay!! I shall always check those first now!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Problem found, it was a blockage... mostly in...
Replies
Views
Well that doesn't help at all with the question
Replies
Views
It’s the first to clog due to the small...
Replies
Views
great, thanks for sharing, really difficult to...
Replies
Views
Good stuff, yep I can’t totally relate to...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back