Blinded by science..Shock valves, reduction valves, size of gas inlet pipe etc | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Blinded by science..Shock valves, reduction valves, size of gas inlet pipe etc in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

noelpilot

Hi all,

A bit new to all this but getting a reasonable understanding, my Puma 80 needs replacing after 8 yrs in a hard water area and the heat exchanger is all scaled up. No scale protection put in by the looks of things.

So I'm talking to a few plumbers and reading up on here trying to decide the way forward. Every plumber seems to have their own preference, got one that says Gloworm, one says Vaillant, couple say Worcester etc etc

One chap round tonight whilst excellent in his response time (called him and he said he'd come right over to quote cos wife was about to watch the soaps etc lol) when he was here it was like there were an awful lot of add ons that he kept adding in.

Things he mentioned that others haven't

Size of the inlet pipe - It's 15mm, he says thats not enough for a Worcester 28kw junior combi.

Shock protection valve - To protect the boiler/house from the shock of turning cold tap on and off. I can hear this happening now i.e. turn cold tap on and you hear the combi fire up a little

Pressure reduction valve - mains pressure is 7bar standing, 6bar in use so he says that needs bringing down to protect the boiler and anything else I put in in the future (eventually I want to put in a thermostatic shower to replace my electric one)

TRV's said the TRV's on my radiator were one way and I should have bi directional TRV's on in case the original plumbers hadn't all plumbed it the right way. I thought TRV's were TRV's!!!

Finally he said he'd need to get a sparky in to wire in the controller, not something I'd heard before!

So any verdicts on the above? Is he genuine in what he says "i'm not the cheapest but I do things right and by the book?"

Apologies if he's reading this but sure he won't mind me asking!!

Finally I'm v keen to have a controller with a 'boost' facility like you used to get in the old days!!!! None seem to have them these days. I just want to be able to push a button and have it come on for an hour to the temperature set. Then go off after the hour without affecting the programs etc.

Any thoughts??!?!

Thoughts also appreciated on the boiler makes but I know this gets covered again and again so apologies for asking again!!

Is it reasonable to expect a reasonable quality boiler with good warranty fitted safely and professionally for a 2 bed terraced house for the £1600 area inc VAT?!?!

Cheers

Noel

Sounds like this last guy is being realistic and wants to give you a first class job with everything by the book.

Mike

Have to agree ,this plumber has covered the bases and given a realistic costing
Thought I would like him when you said he was pleased to escape the soaps
:),although I am considering getting a big poster done like Dev's,for the side of the van,me sat there naked but instead of a rose,maybe a pipe wrench and a 22mm pipe slice covering me privates,ok maybe only a 15mm one :)

LOL nice image!! Cheers both, appreciate that, the way he totted things up, well you need that, and then you need that and then you need that, oh and then you're gonna need that! Just was a little questionable hence me asking! Good to know he seems sound tho.

Cheers
Noel

got to agree the guy knows his stuff and is giving you a good service rather than getting his foot in the door and adding on the extras
its possible you wont need the schock arrester after the preasure reducer is fitted less preasure less noise

Last edited:
Re: Programmers with boost facility

Hi Noel,

Programmers are still available with a +1hr boost facility and some even have an 'advance' function to skip to the next program time.

Have a look at the following as some suggestions:

Danfoss FP715 Si
FP715 Si

Honeywell ST9500C
Honeywell :: ST9500C 7 Day 2 Zone Programmer

Horstmann CentaurPlus or ChannelPlus
[DLMURL="http://www.horstmann.co.uk/central-heating.php"]Horstmann Controls Ltd - Central Heating Units[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see where the guy is coming from, Although most people dont bother with PRV's unless the water pressure is excessive. And some boiler makers do recommending fitting a shock arrestor (quite cheap anyway). 1600 is a fair price

Getting an electrician to to the electrical part is a good sign, if he was dodgy he might have tackled it himself and tried to charge for that too.

The guy sounds very profesional and a credit to good heating engineers! You wont meet many more like him!

Sound advice and a very competitive price!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

More than fine then in 11/5 tube should be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi Did you ever find out what the issue was?
Replies
Views
M
My feeling is that it's not the homeowners...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Back