Blockage in supply pipe from boiler to cylinder | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Blockage in supply pipe from boiler to cylinder in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Morris134

Hi:
I have an unvented system and there's a blockage somewhere in the supply pipe from the boiler to the water cylinder. I say this because the central heating and all radiators are working fine. The zone valve has been checked and is ok and I can get hot water fine switching on the immersion heater.

It's been recommended by SSE/Hydro that I need a power flush but separately by a plumber that a chemical flush would do the trick. So, I'm confused. Would a power flush be necessary, but would a chemical flush work? (By the way, the system did undergo a power flush around 5 years ago). Advice much appreciated.

this is a fully pump system so a blockage on a 22mm pipe unlikely. Is there a air vent at the cylinder end on the flow pie? if so check it is not full of air.

Thanks for your advice. I've unscrewed the air vent a fraction but there's no air trapped - just water there. Regarding your remark about 22mm pipes, those who installed the system unfortunately did so on the cheap and used only 15mm pipes :-(. I should have mentioned that before.

Thanks for your advice. I've unscrewed the air vent a fraction but there's no air trapped - just water there. Regarding your remark about 22mm pipes, those who installed the system unfortunately did so on the cheap and used only 15mm pipes :-(. I should have mentioned that before.

Two pics of cylinder arrangement:

cylinder1.jpg

cylinder2.jpg

what happens if you open the zone valve by hand or take it off altogether and turn the shaft with a pair of grips?

The photos are a big help.

what happens if you open the zone valve by hand or take it off altogether and turn the shaft with a pair of grips?

The photos are a big help.
What ever you do don't leave the head off, this is linked to your overheat stat i thinks.

just checked the photos again can I see a gate valve on the return from the cylinder?, if so try opening it up just in case some muck has stuck there.

just checked the photos again can I see a gate valve on the return from the cylinder?, if so try opening it up just in case some muck has stuck there.

Hi:

I've taken the zone valve off and operated the shaft by hand. No difference. The pipe below anyway remains cold.

Gate valve - please see photograph. Is this the gate valve?

sany1061n.jpg

thats the gate valve, just turn it with a pair of grips and see if any thing happens, if nothing Iam stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Thanks for this, much appreciated. Andrew
Replies
Views
  • Question
Except your response got me thinking. Going...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
Back