Blocked cast iron rainwater pipe | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Blocked cast iron rainwater pipe in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Got a job first thing in the morning to unblock this thing, if it wasn't a regular customer I wouldn't be bothered with it.

3 storey terraced house on a slope with cast iron down pipes every 5 or so houses, this one is blocked at the bottom according to the roofer.

Pipe goes straight into pavement with no access, what is the best way to unblock without replacing it all in plastic?

If the pipe is blocked and water is backed up the lenghts of pipe, then it will be under pressure and you risk getting a soaking with stagnant water if you cut into it with a grinder! Stand to one side and drill a wee hole in the front of it and let the water out. Then make the hole wide enough to get spring rods down it. When it's cleared seal the small hole you've drilled with a small square of Flash Band or similar.

I've been meaning to get a set of spring rods, just don't asked to do this kind of work much. Last time I had this I managed to clear it in the end but it was hard work due to the compacted mud and stones.

Oh well, best see what I can do with some Speedfit pipe.

I've been meaning to get a set of spring rods, just don't asked to do this kind of work much. Last time I had this I managed to clear it in the end but it was hard work due to the compacted mud and stones.

Oh well, best see what I can do with some Speedfit pipe.
As a last resort, fit a small section of 15mm copper into a push fit straight and put this on the end of the Speedfit Pipe. Will give it some oomph at breaking up the blockage. For extra security, tape the whole thing up with duct tape, don't want to leave a push fit straight down there!

You could always hire a electric drain machine which is basically a long spring rod that revolves on the machine. They are really excellent and don't cost that much for a half day hire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
First, ensure the exact position of the leak...
Replies
Views
A
  • Question
Hi there, I recently purchased a flat that...
Replies
Views
Amelia
A
  • Question
Thanks for the advice... makes total sense...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My money is on slip-stick noise when the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Understood, many thanks for the help folks!
Replies
Views
Back