Blocked shower valves - please help | Showers and Wetrooms Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Blocked shower valves - please help in the Showers and Wetrooms Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

mikef

Hi folks, at my wits' end with this one and needing some advice, would appreciate any help you could give.

I have a 24kW combi boiler (Ferroli, between 5-10yrs old, serviced regularly and to my knowledge in full working order) which feeds my shower. I had a new bathroom fitted in August, the old shower which was just a single-handle, on/off affair was replaced with a new model with both flow control and thermostatic control valve.

About 3 weeks after installing, there was a sudden drop in pressure in the shower - significant, and a large amount of noise (high-pitched whining and vibrating but not a hammering) from somewhere within the system, under the bath. The hot water pressure at all taps in the flat had also dropped significantly.

The first plumber removed a flow restrictor from the boiler, which had some debris clogging it. This sorted out the hot water pressure from the taps, but not the shower. The flow of water coming out of the shower head (not the source of the problem as removing the head/hose had no impact) was about 2-2.5l/minute, whereas the flow rate out of the hot water pipe behind the controls was at least 10l/minute. So I got replacement control valves for the shower.

These were fitted by another plumber, last Friday morning and initially solved the problem, but later on Friday evening during a shower, the pressure again dropped substantially and a similar 'hissing' noise from within the control bar can again be heard. With any sort of hot water input to the water flow (i.e. anything other than pure mains cold water), the flow rate is insufficient to consistently fire the boiler - as was the case before the new valves were fitted - it fires up initially but does not stay. Turning the temp control valve fully to cold causes an initial burst of high pressure out of the shower head but this quickly dies back again.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem here? Please let me know if any more info is required - I've been as thorough as I can in describing the problem but may have missed some crucial detail.

Thanks

Mike

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thanks Shaun. Really appreciate you taking...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
Many thanks, Ben-gee - that's very useful...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
W
  • Question
Are they mains pressure showers or gravity eg...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Hi, did you ever solve this problem? You...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Sounds to me that the 15mm pipe that you are...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Back