blocked system? | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss blocked system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi all,
Got called to a job a few days ago to ballance some rads. i can get upstairs nice and hot however im struggling to get any warmth downstairs, which are all on drops from upstairs, the flow to therads is roasting hot however it is not returning. one icouldnt get any heat in at all not even the pipework! This led me to believe thesystem must be blocked? the system is ancient however the boiler has been recently updated along with trvs only. i drained the system and dosedwith de sludger left for a few days to circulate. On my return today i drained and fluished the system through however the problem still remains. would it be worth powerflushing? i have heard mixed opinions about them doing more damage than good. and i also have llimited experiance using them! any help and advice would be greatly apprecited.

thanks joe.

What type of system is it? Have you tried turning the pump up a notch to see if that's ok it might be getting lazy. Or could be water running around hot water circuit to fast. Maybe airlocked.

If the boile has been updated recently the system should already have been flushed.

Sounds most likely to be an airlock. Shut off the supply to the water cylinder and close all rad valves other than one of the cold ones, whack the pump on setting 3 and see if it sorts itself out (you will hear air gurgling round). Repeat for all the other cold rads then put everything back as it was.

Is the pump working? Classic sympton of a failed circulating pump as hot water rises (therefore warming upstairs radiators).

i had a job the other day which sounds the same.....i cut out the neutral point where the cold feed from the f & e tank meets up with the system and this was 90% blocked up....just enough water was trickling through to heat upstairs but downstairs there was nothing.....cleaned out blockage,replaced pipework and wehey there was heat all round the house!!! it was quite a big system too with 14 rads on.

Hi there.
Had a similar problem last month myself. Despite a recent "aparent flush" by British Gas home care scheme there was still an awful lot of sludge in the downstairs rads and pipe work, not to mention a blocked boiler feed pipe!!
I ended up replacing the feed pipe and feed/expansion tank.
To solve the cold rad issues I took off each cold rad, flushed with a hose or cold water, ran heating water through the rad valves into a bucket and replace and refilled the rad. I did this with each rad in turn and now works a treat.
A huge amount of black sludge and air came out.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

I had this yesterday put a new towel rad in to replace old rad, thought was a air lock :( Muck in the system took me ages to find the blockage just glad I put some cleaner in. God I hate microbore :mad:

try turning all the rads off except one downstairs you should get heat if both valves are open then open another and shut that one it should push the air through

Is the pump working? Classic sympton of a failed circulating pump as hot water rises (therefore warming upstairs radiators).

i had a job the other day which sounds the same.....i cut out the neutral point where the cold feed from the f & e tank meets up with the system and this was 90% blocked up....just enough water was trickling through to heat upstairs but downstairs there was nothing.....cleaned out blockage,replaced pipework and wehey there was heat all round the house!!! it was quite a big system too with 14 rads on.

One of the above^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

If you are paranoid, refill, circulate and...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
Thanks Chuck for the elaborate explanation...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Red circles show my new AAVs and the manual...
Replies
Views
Back