bloody custards expecting something for nothing | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

• Thread starter Phil_Plumb
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 146

Discuss bloody custards expecting something for nothing in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phil_Plumb

I went round to give a quote today to fit an outside tap and plumb in a small corner basin with both h&c feed and to pipe up into waste somehwere near by all behind lovely boxing.

Now standard charge for me to do an outside tap is £70 plus parts.

Standard charge for me to plumb in a sink - assuming all the pipework is there and i can connect to it without any messing around then another 80 quid, so all in all thats 150 labour plus parts.

Stupid custard expected me to pipe up a sink bringing in the h&c from the bathroom over 2 mts away. and find and reveal the soil stack or a waste pipe, behind some boxing and make good after and then to fit an outside tap all for less than £100. so she thought a £100 was acceptable for me to waste a day trying to fit some sodding sink, and then to mess around under the kitchen sink to fit an outside tap, oh and i had to supply all the materials for this too.

hacked off is not the word!

I just laugh and walk away now. I know the value of my knowledge and experience, if somebody doesn't want to fairly compensate me for that then they can go forth and multiply.

I had someone complain at a £10 call out once to tighten up a nut on a radiator!

More than £100 for that? Rip off!!! :smile:

Sensibler hat now:

I'd walk, if I were you. He/she'll find a cowboy for that price then pay again then wish she'd gone with you in the first place.

@Hammers, it was only a quote i was asked to provide for, im not going to do all that work for less than my standard charges plus whatever else.

@SimonG yes, i think i may have to adopt that attitude!

I had someone complain at a £10 call out once to tighten up a nut on a radiator!

More than £100 for that? Rip off!!! :smile:

Sensibler hat now:

I'd walk, if I were you. He/she'll find a cowboy for that price then pay again then wish she'd gone with you in the first place.

I did, and when the cowboys come and use pushfit pipe in both potable water and waste and use that cheapo kit available for non plumbers to install an outside tap, i will laugh quietly as i issue them an invoice for twice what i would have charged in the first place!

Do people not get we as tradesmen operate a business and to make a living wage let alone dare i say that filthy word - a profit is the whole idea of running a business not offering cut down rates to do a skilled engineering job for a labourers pay!

Less than £100????

people just don't realise the price of materials alone are very high. You will spend the best part of 100 quite easily on outside tap, pipe, waste and fittings. Bloody idiots...

yeah tell me about it, by contrast today tho, been around my local area, did some work for a landlady at one of her houses- changed a crappy torbeck for a nice shiny new Fluid Master Pro on the loo, the torbeck kept letting by and wasting water.

Then popped in the local corner shop and got asked by a customer of theirs if i could pop next door and change a tap washer. i got a cuppa T and buscuits out of both jobs and payment in full no questions asked nor no unreasonable expectations.

All in all i was home by half 1. made a decent wage for half a day too. now sat in garden with Pimms and lemonade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

No play but did manage to get enough with some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
N
No blockage in soil pipe? Was he a plumber or...
Replies
Views
From this post, I think you’ve got a good...
Replies
Views
He doesn't know or will accept it but we've...
Replies
Views
Back