boiler access | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler access in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

benji2

Went to look at a house, asked where boiler was she said in that cupboard,i opened door (225mm wide)could see boiler it was nearly sat on floor .Now you could get your head in but not your head & arms together i suppose you could get the cover off and see into boiler but due to door being off set to the right you would need mirror to see left hand side of boiler.
Is there any reg,s about boiler access,

Hi mate, very good point as I've had a similar situation with a boiler in a cupboard under the stairs. Just had a nose around on the internet and seems like there's very little known about regs for access to boilers. Hoping someone else can enlighten us as it's pretty frustrating.

Most manufacturers instructions say something along the lines of a minimum 500mm clear space in front of the boiler is required for servicing (but that's not actually very much - more is better).

Sounds like the boiler in question has either not been installed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions or (more likely), the cupboard has been built around it at a later date. Ask yourself how often a boiler installed like that has been serviced (if at all)...

Check the boiler literature, they do specify a distance. Think it's about 200 above any fixed surface on worcesters, but I suppose this can vary between manufacturers

Does not matter what mi say,if you can not work on the boiler/appliance safety,just walk away or start taking down units if allowed,know it can be hard if you need the work but apart from safety,if you try to repair,you could be stuck there ages getting nowhere without being paid

Wish I had £ 1 for every time a customer say's to me...'kitchen fitters promised you would be able to get to it ok''

imho

No not going to work on it ,was viewing house thinking about buying it ,then thought its an old ideal boiler you would have to remove kitchen sink & base unit then cut/remove section of partition wall for good access, prob cost a fortune

Had a customer call me out to a breakdown on an oil combi boiler during the big freeze last year. The kitchen fitters had built it into a unit and put a granite worktop over it, and guess what - top access boiler!

She phoned the kitchen company and told them she was cancelling the installments until they came and sorted it out. Took them 2 days to remove the granite worktop and 2 layers of tiles, re-machine it and re install and retile to allow top access.

No not going to work on it ,was viewing house thinking about buying it ,then thought its an old ideal boiler you would have to remove kitchen sink & base unit then cut/remove section of partition wall for good access, prob cost a fortune

Sounds like a good reason to drop the asking price by a good few thousand! Result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
I would suggest a Grant registered engineer to...
Replies
Views
Thanks mate, thats really helpful photo, and...
Replies
Views
It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
Back