Boiler advice oil Grant combi boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler advice oil Grant combi boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

barbeluk1

Hi there,

We've had a oil Grant combi boiler for 5 years now and I'm sick to death of it. It goes wrong every couple of months and I spend more maintaining it that I do on our cars! It's the worst purchase I've ever made.

I'm keen to go back to a conventional boiler and immersion heater so that I can have an electric power shower as well as something that is reliable.

What makes and models should I be looking at please?? Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,
Andy

Well done on getting rid of the Grant, I hate them with a passion. Go for a system boiler and unvented cylinder then you won't need anything electric for your showering.

This would be dependant upon water flow rates and pressures, and you would need a plumber with the relevant g3 qualifications to install the cylinder.

Also depending upon the size of your system you may need additional expansion vessel volume.

If you post your location, there may be somebody on here close to you to have a look and offer advice directly.

Oh and welcome to the forums. :)

Thanks Simon.

We're in Chippenham, Wiltshire.
Regards

Andy

Have you always run it with a water softener?

We used to and still had loads of problems. The thing has had at least 2 new circuit boards!

Are system boilers generally reliable? What is the advantage of them? I've read that they can be expensive to install and maintain....

Thanks,

Andy

System boiler is just a heat only boiler with a pump, expansion vessel and pressure relief valve. Doesn't have all the extra bits to go wrong like the combi.

System boiler is just a heat only boiler with a pump, expansion vessel and pressure relief valve. Doesn't have all the extra bits to go wrong like the combi.

Fan, pcb? A nice system boiler will set u away. Get a future proof cylinder, one that has a spare coil for a second heat input ( solar thermal, bio mass.....) dual cylinder only set I back extra 10%. But may come in handy in a few years time !

Get a future proof cylinder, one that has a spare coil for a second heat input ( solar thermal, bio mass.....) dual cylinder only set I back extra 10%. But may come in handy in a few years time !

Good idea and the extra coil in the meantime may as well be linked up as well, so to have extremely fast heat recovery rates in the cylinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
You need a new service engineer not a new...
Replies
Views
Will try to upload pic again
Replies
Views
Yes everything worked fine before. Is there a...
Replies
Views
Back