Boiler Advice Please. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler Advice Please. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The boiler way

HI,
I would like to ask some advice from the experts on here.

I have a Glowworm energysaver 60 regular boiler. It is now about 12 years old and has some problems with condensate dripping from the
bottom of the boiler(I mopped about a pint of water from the bottom a few days ago). This seems to happen only when the central
heating is on 24/7 and the boiler is switching off and on in response to the thermostat. I am running it just now but by having it
switch on just before I come home. It is therefore heating the house and system from cold. And the boiler appears to be fairly dry
inside with just a few drops of watter. It is of course lit and running all the time to bring the house up to temperature(I always run
it on the low flame setting for efficiency).
I have a 3 bedroom detached property with 11 radiators,cavity wall insulation, upvc double glazing and good loft insulation. The
upstairs is plumbed with microbore while downstairs is normal 1/2 in.

I have accepted that I need a new boiler.
I have been very happy with the Glowworm which came with the house.

My question is which make and model of boiler would you recommend, and what KW output.?
I presume I require a heat only model as I have a hot water storage tank.
I would also like to get a model that has the flow and return connections at the top in the same way as the Glowworm.To keep things
neat.
I have looked at Atag,but they appear to plumb from the bottom.

Also can someone explain to me how the boiler self modulates, I have never quite understood this? I thought that the system would
respond to the room thermostat calling for heat,switch the boiler on at full output then switch the boiler off when the temperature
set on the room thermostat is reached.

Any sugestions?

Much appreciated.

You are better off getting three different quotes and then googling the boilers the installer wants to install. But as with all things in life, you will find good and bad things about all of them. Try and find an engineer that is recommended by friends/family.

Or, after you have had your quotes, come back here and we will give you our opinion.

Ideal logic + heat, 18kw probably but your installer needs to make sure it's correctly sized.

Thanks for the advice so far. I will try to get some quotes and then get back to you all.
Many thanks.

Your chosen installer should do a whole house boiler sizing to determine the correct size boiler. There are a lot of heat only boilers with top connections.

Can anyone answer my last question about how a boiler modulates?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Time and make a note of how long the boiler is...
Replies
Views
R
As per @Murdoch. Were the programmer and...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
T
I know you must be frustrated, but as gmartine...
Replies
Views
I don't believe moving the manual lever over...
Replies
Views
GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC Worcester Bosch...
Replies
Views
Back