Boiler and central heating | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Boiler and central heating in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pea

To cut a long story short, I had a new boiler installed (Vaillant) after which none of the radiators downstairs were getting any heat. The CH engineer tried various ways of getting them to work (including chemically flushing twice) until finally deciding that the only option was to replace the existing pipework coming down to the rads which he said would cost another £250.00 on top of the £200.00 he charged for doing a second chemical flush (which he didn't mention he was going to do).
By this time (a few weeks later) I decided to ask another CH engineer to come and have a look. He said that the pipework had been piped wrong and the original CH engineer had run the pipework through the old Baxi Bermuda boiler (behind the fire in the living room) and this meant that there was not enough pressure in the system for the water to go to the downstairs rads (or something like that). He said that the second chemical flush and replacing the pipework to the rads would not have solved the problem as it was the pipework going through the boiler that was the problem. I have asked him to send me a summary of what he did to put right the problem.

I paid the original engineer over £3k for doing this work which he has failed to do. I paid him the money because in August when he did the job he said he had tested it and it was all running properly, so stupid me gave him a cheque. He still hasn't given me any of the paperwork for the boiler.

Can anyone advise if I am entitled to some of my money back and what course of action I should take?

I should make sure you've every single bit of paperwork you've been given including a full written report from the second guy.

Then pay a visit to your citizens advice bureau.

Good luck!

Did you have a written quote? Did you get a receipt for the payment given? Have you proof of payment?

leaving the back boiler in place is no big deal its often done round my way

leaving the back boiler in place is no big deal its often done round my way

Leaving it piped up so heating water still running around it is wrong though. Although I have seen it done before I got a shock when I started undoing the nut on the side to rip it out.

Did you have a written quote? Did you get a receipt for the payment given? Have you proof of payment?

To answer your questions in order, yes I have a written quote, yes I have a receipt for the payment and yes I have proof of payment as I paid by cheque.

To be honest don't really know where to start, I've asked the 2nd CH engineer to send me a detailed bill and asked him to summarise what he did and why the downstairs rads wouldn't heat up, I am hoping he will supply that although he didn't look to keen so I'll have to wait and see.

Is my next option the CAB as I think I should be due some of the money back as he didn't complete the work satisfactorily and actually wanted to do further unnecessary work for which he wanted paying on top of what I had already paid him. Also, there were days when he didn't turn up when he said he would resulting in me taking days off work for no good reason. Also, this has been ongoing since the middle of August and we were without any heat downstairs until last weekend, not that he was concerned.
The problem is I am unsure how much to ask for back as he did buy and fit the boiler. Is there some sort of Ombudsman I could speak to or should I contact Gas Safe?

I think you will end up biting the bullet personally. I cant Gas Safe helping you unless its unsafe so CAB is really your only option unless you want to get a solicitor involved which is going to end up costing you money to get a judgement for a few hundred quid that will never get paid anyway. You could also email rogue traders as he may have been at it so to speak with lots of people.

I think you will end up biting the bullet personally. I cant Gas Safe helping you unless its unsafe so CAB is really your only option unless you want to get a solicitor involved which is going to end up costing you money to get a judgement for a few hundred quid that will never get paid anyway. You could also email rogue traders as he may have been at it so to speak with lots of people.

I don't give up that easily and will take him to the Small Claims Court if necessary. I work hard for my money and I'm not going to let some charlatan rip me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Good job buddy. Rather than a beer, if you’re...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back