boiler and heating system advice | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss boiler and heating system advice in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alan baker

hi
as my boiler is now 30 years old i have decided to upgrade .
i was advised to change this sytem so as to have a sealed radiator system and keep vented hot water ,what i would like to know is would a pressurised radiator system cause problems with leaks to the copper joints or should this be ok

many thanks......... alan

Sealed system is a good idea. Personally I would be looking very closely at the condition of the existing rads, radiator valves etc. Would probably change the rad valves anyway. Would definitely power flush the system. Sealed system will run about 1 bar which is equivalent to about 33ft head of pressure.

As Reg Man says the new working pressure on a sealed system will not be less than 1 bar or 15 psi, this will be probably twice what your system is working at now, about changing things, I go to friends houses I fitted central heating for them 40 years ago, Potterton rolled top radiators they are that old and they have never changed a radiator, you could do as Reg man says change all the radiator valves and if you do that, best take every radiator off the wall, take them outside and power flush them out, if you get the right man doing it he could test each radiator before you put it back on the wall. And while you are at it fitting the new boiler get a Magfilter fitted that will collect any magnetic sludge you missed. Are you going for a Combi or a conventional boiler ???

Tony

BTW you don't need to go with a sealed system, you can leave things as they are, still the flushing is a must.

First question I always ask before sealing a system is are there pipes in solid floors. If there are I won't pressurise it.

If your keeping vented hot water you might as well stick with tank fed heating, change the boiler, upgrade controls pump etc.

i wouldn't be too keen on pressurising a 30 year old system.

Maybe post the job up in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
hi, no current pipework in concrete i believe...
Replies
Views
I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
Stick with heat only. You most probably still...
Replies
Views
System boilers have a pressurised heating...
Replies
Views
Back